The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > For all you that are afraid of O2... keg fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default For all you that are afraid of O2... keg fermenting

I ran into this looking for keg parts. Pretty cool use of kegs for fermenting where no O2 will get to your beer...

clicky

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Now thats pretty cool. It amazes me the stuff people can come up with.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
jdoiv

Recipes 

That is really cool. I think this may solve one of my current problems and allow me to ferment my batches in one container versus the two I'm doing now. My only concern is blow off. I'm thinking I could pull the gas out off and put a piece of tubing over the threads and run it into a blow off bucket. Anyone on this board try this?

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 05-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is so cool! As I was laying in bed last night I was thinking about doing something like this and wondering if it was even feasible. I'm definitely going to give this a try on a 5 gal corny.

I think it would enable me to really up the 'smack-in-the-nose' aroma of my IPAs! Just load up gobs of hops into some nylon hose, weight them down with S/S weights and lower them into the corny!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
jdoiv

Recipes 

I just went out in my garage to see how many 5 gallon cornies I can fit in my fermentation fridge, and I can get 8 in there without much of a problem. I'm thinking about converting a couple into fermenters to try it out. If it works, then I'll be able to have 3-4 batches working at a time.

I'll remove the gas post and find a piece of tubing to fit over it for a blow off tube. I think I'll have to cut the dip tubes, but I can always find a couple of new ones if it doesn't work. Just checked the size of the dip tube and a racking cane cap doesn't quite fit it, so I'll need to figure that out. I've got a brew scheduled for this weekend, so it'll have to wait until the next batch, but this is showing some promise.

This might work really well for EdWorts Applewine if it doesn't pan out on the beer.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 05-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Thanks for the link. I was just about to post a new thread inquiring on corny's for secondaries. This guy you shared had a airlock on the corny for a secondary, the cruisenews dude below didn't.

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/kegging/page1.php

I'm not quite clear though on how the Bodensatz guy retrofitted the top for an airlock. Anyone out here got any insight? Airlock need or not on the secondary? I figured if it's really almost complete in ferm you could burp it every once in a while from the pressure release valve but I'd prefer to follow the concensus.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
thatleetboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am lucky enough to have a bunch of 15 gallon kegs, and one ten actually. I have tried the airlock both as a tube, and the airlock route as illustrated on bodensatz. The tube is a lot less fussy, as long as you don't have dogs or kids to knock the "blow-off bucket".
I hate carboys, so this works fine for me. Easy to rack into the next keg, but you will use a lot more CO2. OTH, no O2 in your beer.... Finally, if you are using the keg as a secondary, no need for venting off the CO2, just gets the beer carbonating a little earlier...

Cheers

Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Instead of modifying a lid for an airlock, you can just attach a gas in disconnect and run the tube into a jar of water. I wouldn't use a corny as a primary because it's only 5 gallons and I don't care what kind of blowoff tubing you use, the krausen is going to be 5" tall due to the narrow vessel.

Also, there's really no difference as far as O2 exposure is concerned between this an a carboy. You can easily flush carboys with CO2 and do no-o2 transfers by connecting a hose between two carboy caps and even using CO2 to transfer. The corny has no real advantage on this front.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatleetboy
I am lucky enough to have a bunch of 15 gallon kegs, and one ten actually. I have tried the airlock both as a tube, and the airlock route as illustrated on bodensatz. The tube is a lot less fussy, as long as you don't have dogs or kids to knock the "blow-off bucket".
I hate carboys, so this works fine for me. Easy to rack into the next keg, but you will use a lot more CO2. OTH, no O2 in your beer.... Finally, if you are using the keg as a secondary, no need for venting off the CO2, just gets the beer carbonating a little earlier...

Cheers
Question for you on the 15 gallon cornies. Do you have the dimensions on these? This would be the ideal situation size wise for me if they will fit into the fridge I have. Don't know where I'll find some though.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 05-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Instead of modifying a lid for an airlock, you can just attach a gas in disconnect and run the tube into a jar of water. I wouldn't use a corny as a primary because it's only 5 gallons and I don't care what kind of blowoff tubing you use, the krausen is going to be 5" tall due to the narrow vessel.

Also, there's really no difference as far as O2 exposure is concerned between this an a carboy. You can easily flush carboys with CO2 and do no-o2 transfers by connecting a hose between two carboy caps and even using CO2 to transfer. The corny has no real advantage on this front.
The lack of headspace is my one real concern, but is it going to hurt the beer if the krausen is all blown off? My main reason for wanting to try this is to increase my primary capacity in my fermentation fridge. I can only fit two 6.5 gallon carboys and one 5 gallon in it, but can fit 8 cornies. Huge difference in production. If only they made a 7.5 gallon corny.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Quick Reply