New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Aging Russian Imperial Stout in a keg *question*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
LegitBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Default Aging Russian Imperial Stout in a keg *question*

About to keg 5 gallons of a RIS (other 5 gallons is getting bottled)
Any advice about the best way to age a beer in a keg? Plan on aging at least 5-6 months.
-Prime with sugar and age room temp?
-No prime and just put enough gas in it to get out oxygen and keep it sealed and age room temp? carbonate after aging.
-No prime, cold crash, carbonate normally and age in cooler? (keep it around 38-40F in there)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Prob no need to cold crash it. If you're going to be aging it for several months minimum, then might as well use priming sugar and naturally carb. Just make sure you clear the headspace with CO2, otherwise you may suffer oxidation before the yeast can eat the priming sugar.

Also, look at priming sugar volumes. I wanna say with kegging, you use like 1/3 what you normally use. Do some reasearch on it. But yeah -- doing this method not only carbonates it, but it also does the equivalent of bottle conditioning. You'll def have some yeast on the bottom on your first few pours, but it'll clear up.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
JuanMoore
SACD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3180 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It doesn't really matter if you carb it before or after aging, or how you carb it. For the best results I'd age it at cellar temps though. And the difference in the amount of yeast that collects on the bottom between naturally carbing and force carbing is tiny.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I aged mine for about three months in the fermenter and then it sat for another nine in the keg. I did an artificial carbing but that was mainly a function of not having any confidence that the yeast would wake up and carb.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I just bulk aged a RIS in a keg for 3 months. No priming, just sealed it and let it sit at the temperature of my garage which was, i dunno, 60-something most of the time probably. Seemed to work well. I then bottled w/priming sugar and added yeast.

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Quick Reply