Aging In Keg At Room Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and have only kegged one batch so far. I have used the set it and forget it method and put the keg in the fridge immediately after racking. I'm finding that it is taking a longer then normal for my beer to age and mellow out. I am thinking I may carbonate my next beer in the keg at room temperature and pull samples until I feel it's aged well. Has anyone had experience doing this? Will the beer indeed age and mellow out quicker at room temp?

There is really no definitive answer to this. Everyone has their opinion and likings. My preferences are to let it ferment until FG. Then let it sit in primary for another ~3-4 weeks. Without moving it, cold crash it for a day or two. Then I keg it. After a week or so on 12 psi it's perfect for me.

Also, trying to carb at room temp will take a lot longer. It's a lot faster the colder it is.

This might help you..http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I typically go 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary if dry hopping. Otherwise just 3 weeks in primary. And then I was going to set it to 23 psi at 70 degrees based off the chart

I think you should give it a week or two longer in primary, dry hopping or not. Out of the last 20 or so brews I've done, about half extract and the other all-grain, they have all tasted great to my liking by leaving them in primary for at least three weeks. Just my opinion though.

I think you should give it a week or two longer in primary, dry hopping or not. Out of the last 20 or so brews I've done, about half extract and the other all-grain, they have all tasted great to my liking by leaving them in primary for at least three weeks. Just my opinion though.

Great advice. Exactly what I do. I would say 70% of my brews get dry hopped though, cuz I love the aroma

Question, I did a stout 2 weeks in the primary and then two weeks in a keg @45 degrees. Should I condition it another week or two at room temp?

I am new to kegging and have only kegged one batch so far. I have used the set it and forget it method and put the keg in the fridge immediately after racking. I'm finding that it is taking a longer then normal for my beer to age and mellow out. I am thinking I may carbonate my next beer in the keg at room temperature and pull samples until I feel it's aged well. Has anyone had experience doing this? Will the beer indeed age and mellow out quicker at room temp?

It will age quicker at room temp. That may still not be your answer, though.

What style of beer is it? Does it need to "mellow" or does it need to clear? Are you trying to age out strong flavors (as in a stout) or off flavors?

It is a lighter IPA. It has cleared fine, I was just seeing the off flavors disappear overtime longer then I would have expected.

"It is a lighter IPA. It has cleared fine, I was just seeing the off flavors disappear overtime longer then I would have expected."

What do you mean by off flavors?

Just bad aftertaste. I haven't been brewing that long so I can't really pinpoint what it's from but I believe it's the green beer taste since it disappears with time.

Back