Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Aging in a keg after carbonated?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
parratt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aging in a keg after carbonated?

Hey all,
I had a Newcastle-ish clone in the primary for 14 days and then in to the keg. Well in the keg now for about 10 days at 12 psi and it is now carbed nicely. The taste however is way off. Pretty sure it is just green but maybe fermented a bit too hot as well. My question now is I want to age it for another week or two and want to know what my best course of action is. Should I keep aging in the kegerator at cold temps or should I pull it out, keep it at 12psi and let it come to room temperature to sit for a week or more? I think I keep reading that it will age faster and better at room temperature?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

As long as your room temp is 70ish, room temp. Not 80+ though. And consistent is key too, don't let it fluctuate every day.

Also, if you fermented too hot, you should let it sit way longer...like months. It'll be much better given some time. I do know about how it feels to be waiting on one beer though...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
parratt1
Recipes 

My basement is right at 68 degrees. Not much fluctuating. Should I release the pressure or keep it at 12 psi if I take it out of the keggerator?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

don't release any pressure. you can remove it on full pressure and leave it in the corner a few weeks.

you can also just seat the lid on a newly filled keg with 30psi, and then leave it to sit at room temp if you have no room or know for a fact it needs to age a bit.

I drain kegs slowly enough that they condition at 44F for months and months.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Let it warm up, but not release the pressure. The pressure will go up with temperature and if you release it, you'll have to re-carbonate. When you put it back online, make certain it is chilled completely before reconnecting.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply