Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > aging in the keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
tomas77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default aging in the keg

I just kegged my Strong Scotch ale and was going to age it for about 6 months. Would it be ok just to cap it co2 then set it aside or would I have to carbonate the whole keg first then set aside. Right now it is sitting on a cap of co2 but not hooked up to gas. What do you guys generally do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
andrewtouron
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From my understanding, I was told you can put a few pounds of co2 into the keg, and bless it a couple of times to get the oxygen out. Then unhook it with a few pounds of co2 in it, and it would be fine.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
FermentedTed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I've done both. If I have the room and a gas line free, I just hook it up and let it age. If all spots are filled, I do like you just described. I've never had any issues either way.

absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat

Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
hunter_la5
Recipes 

Liked 507 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

Either way will work. If you are opting not to leave it hooked up to the gas, just make sure you hit it with enough pressure (20 PSI or so should do it, after purging a few times) to get a good seal.

When I am letting my kegs age, I will quickly bleed a bit of CO2 from the release valve once a week or so to verify that there is still pressure in the keg, in case of leaks.

1. Brazos Bock,
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB

Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If your going to leave it that long go ahead and carb naturally. Just put in the sugar (use a calculator to figure amount) the hit it with enough co2 to seal. Come back when you are ready, chill and your good to go

Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
tomas77
Recipes 

Thought about doing that as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 389 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
Either way will work. If you are opting not to leave it hooked up to the gas, just make sure you hit it with enough pressure (20 PSI or so should do it, after purging a few times) to get a good seal.

When I am letting my kegs age, I will quickly bleed a bit of CO2 from the release valve once a week or so to verify that there is still pressure in the keg, in case of leaks.
I do this. I've had a few leaks, so checking the pressure every now and again is a good idea. I routinely top off the CO2 as needed.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
tomas77
Recipes 

Caps of co2 eventually dissolve into solution so if you keep topping off with a co2 cap it will eventually carb itself.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 389 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I only do it about once a month, so I don't think I'm adding a ton of carbonation. Just trying to keep the seals nice and tight. When I'm ready to serve I do hook it back up to CO2 at 30PSI for a day or so at room temp to get the carb process going.

I used to add sugar and let it carb, but I had mixed results and it was an extra few steps when I kegged.

Now I just force carb it. I get it 1/2 way there at room temp, chill, and hook it up to serving pressure CO2 for a few days. The whole process takes about 4-5 days. Works like a charm.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I only do it about once a month, so I don't think I'm adding a ton of carbonation. Just trying to keep the seals nice and tight. When I'm ready to serve I do hook it back up to CO2 at 30PSI for a day or so at room temp to get the carb process going.

I used to add sugar and let it carb, but I had mixed results and it was an extra few steps when I kegged.

Now I just force carb it. I get it 1/2 way there at room temp, chill, and hook it up to serving pressure CO2 for a few days. The whole process takes about 4-5 days. Works like a charm.
So the extra step of boiling water, measuring out sugar, and adding it to water, then adding that to the keg, is more work than every week adding CO2 to the keg? Guess you don't have to move the kegs around to get to your CO2, otherwise that route sounds like a lot more work.

Quick Reply