Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Aging high gravity ale in keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
brew_free_or_die
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aging high gravity ale in keg

I plan to brew a high gravity ale (imperial stout, barley wine etc) that I would like to age for up to a year or more before force carbonating in several korny kegs.

I don't want to bottle this batch, unless it's with a beergun or counter-pressure bottler after the fact. I want to serve it from the keg with as little sediment as possible.

Should I leave the ale in the secondary fermenter for a year or is it better to transfer from the secondary after fermentation has completely stopped and maybe purge the 5 gal keg beforehand or purge the oxyegen from the top of the keg after transfering from the secondary?

I just want to know if there is a way to age a high gravity ale before carbonation in the keg or at least in a larger vessel as opposed to aging in the bottle.

This is my second post, Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can definitely do the aging in a keg, I've done it for 12 weeks once, but there is no reason why it couldn't have gone longer. Be meticulous in your sanitation of course. It would be a good idea to purge the keg after the transfer, and to leave it at least somewhat pressurized to ensure that the lid is sealed.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
brew_free_or_die
Recipes 

Default Muchas Gracias!

That is so cool how fast I got a response!

I've been away from the home brewing community for more than a decade. It has advanced light years since Al Gore invented the internet

I can tell the combonation of the internet and homebrewing is going to be both wonderful and addictive.

Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew_free_or_die View Post
I can tell the combonation of the internet and homebrewing is going to be both wonderful and addictive.
Very true. If it weren't for this website, I'd probably still be scratching my head wondering what the clear liquid on top of my cornmeal beer is.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
brew_free_or_die
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Very true. If it weren't for this website, I'd probably still be scratching my head wondering what the clear liquid on top of my cornmeal beer is.
Hahahahaha!
These days I'd say, "Siphon it off and distill it in your AmazingStill"

Another discovery, thanks to the internet

Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah , I agree these forums are like Homebrewing Tech Support , only better.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Quick Reply