The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Aging in the corny...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ShortSnoutBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,266
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Aging in the corny...

OK folks, I'm sure this has been hit on before, and I apologize. Searching 10 pages or search results didn't supply me with what I was looking for.

I've got a Dogfish 90min IPA clone that was in primary for 1 week, today hits 1 week in secondary dry hopping. I'd like to allow it to age more (at least a month). In your opinions...Should I transfre to a tertiary carboy to age, or put into keg to age? To me keg aging would be nice to cut down on cleaning, tranfer time, etc etc etc.

Also, if aged in the keg, do I let it sit on CO2, or just put it in the cleaned/sanitized keg and let it age (other then the CO2 to clear out the oxygen in the keg)?

Thanks all.

ShortSnoutBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,117
Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer
OK folks, I'm sure this has been hit on before, and I apologize. Searching 10 pages or search results didn't supply me with what I was looking for.

I've got a Dogfish 90min IPA clone that was in primary for 1 week, today hits 1 week in secondary dry hopping. I'd like to allow it to age more (at least a month). In your opinions...Should I transfre to a tertiary carboy to age, or put into keg to age? To me keg aging would be nice to cut down on cleaning, tranfer time, etc etc etc.

Also, if aged in the keg, do I let it sit on CO2, or just put it in the cleaned/sanitized keg and let it age (other then the CO2 to clear out the oxygen in the keg)?

Thanks all.
Depends on your capacity and desire to get to the next brew.

DFH90...I'd say it needs a few months to get smooth.

I'd prefer to let it sit in the secondary and let the yeast continue to "clean" up after itself. How long does the recipe call for the dry hop?

Not knowing the details and just going from my gut???

Leave in the secondary for another week with the dry hop. Remove the dry hop and let sit another 2-3 weeks. Rack to a keg, purge the headspace with CO2 and let continue to condition (room temp) for another month. Then…chill the keg for 48 hours…charge it at 30PSI for 48 hours…set PSI back down to 10 and give it another 2-3 days and enjoy.

If you can't tie up your secondary that long...rack to the keg right after pulling the dry hop and condition in the keg.
BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Glibbidy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny Southern Vermont
Posts: 2,399
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Yeah, I find the search function medicore at best.
I's leave it in the secondary another week, and then rack it to a keg, purge the headspace of O2, and let it condition, or put it on gas, and let it go for another 3-6 weeks after racking to the keg.

__________________
Glibbidy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ShortSnoutBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,266
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Depends on your capacity and desire to get to the next brew.

DFH90...I'd say it needs a few months to get smooth.

I'd prefer to let it sit in the secondary and let the yeast continue to "clean" up after itself. How long does the recipe call for the dry hop?

Not knowing the details and just going from my gut???

Leave in the secondary for another week with the dry hop. Remove the dry hop and let sit another 2-3 weeks. Rack to a keg, purge the headspace with CO2 and let continue to condition (room temp) for another month. Then…chill the keg for 48 hours…charge it at 30PSI for 48 hours…set PSI back down to 10 and give it another 2-3 days and enjoy.

If you can't tie up your secondary that long...rack to the keg right after pulling the dry hop and condition in the keg.
This was kind of the way I was leaning myself. Recipe called for only a week on the dry hop.

What I've got going right now is a stout 1 week in primary (6gal), the IPA in secondary (5gal) and one more empty 5gal carboy available. I'll probably let the stout sit another week in primary before transfering so it would be at least another week till I brew a new batch.

These will be my first batches using kegs, so I'm a little ansy. Guess the next batch will need to be something not requiring a lot of aging time!
ShortSnoutBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Funkenjaeger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 1,637
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
Yeah, I find the search function medicore at best.
I's leave it in the secondary another week, and then rack it to a keg, purge the headspace of O2, and let it condition, or put it on gas, and let it go for another 3-6 weeks after racking to the keg.
I'd do the same. Or, if I was in a hurry to free the fermenter, I might throw it in the keg immediately (since there's still probably a moderate amount of yeast in suspension to keep cleaning things up a bit during conditioning) and dry hop it in there again, using a hop bag zip-tied to the dip tube or whatever - provided you've got the hops and bag and whatnot. For a DFH90 clone, I'd think the more dry hopping, the better.
__________________
Funkenjaeger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aging plan for Corny kegs. Reasonable? cscade Fermentation & Yeast 15 10-14-2009 06:21 PM
Aging in in a Corny Keg in Kegerator? albysurfin Bottling/Kegging 7 09-14-2009 11:58 PM
Secondary fermentation vs bulk aging vs bottle aging jaginger Cider Forum 8 07-09-2009 11:08 PM
Aging in a corny wildwest450 Bottling/Kegging 4 02-07-2008 05:42 PM
Aging at room temp in a corny WC87 Bottling/Kegging 5 01-07-2008 04:17 AM