Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Adding Maltodextrin to Priming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Adding Maltodextrin to Priming?

My last two batches of beer have turned out fine except for a nonexistent head retention. This third batch is a Rogue Hazelnut Brown extract + specialty recipe, and I really want a decent, lasting head on it.

My LBS said I could experiment with adding maltodextrin to my priming sugar when boiling and preparing to bottle.

Has anyone else tried this yet? Will this work?

Planning - Dark-fruit Rye Wine, Cherry Brown Ale, Session Citrus IPA, SweetStone Pale Ale [MagicHat #9 clone]
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled - Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)
Deceased - Halzelnut Honey Brown, Orange Honey Heffe, Caramel Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maltodextrin can be good at improving head and mouthfeel. It's kind of thicker foam, and it also makes for a thicker beer. Carapils or other light crystal malts can help too.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

A couple other things that can help:
1. Only wash your glasses with hot water, no soap and definitely no dishwasher with jet-dri.
2. What do you use as a fermenter? The reason that I ask is, the foam positive malt protiens that are largely responsible for head retention are also picked up in krausen formation. If you use an undersized fermenter and a blowoff tube, AND ROUTINELY HAVE SINIFICANT BLOWOFF, you are permanently removing those protiens and that can affect head retention. The effect may not be pronounced with all styles as hop compounds also contribute to head formation and retention, so highly hopped beers have a secondary source, but lightly hopped (especially lower gravity) beers this can be a major problem.

Fat Toad Brewery

Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Oh, and yes, maltodex can help with head retention. It is nonfermentable, so adding it a bottling should work ok. When I have added it, I have added 8oz/5gal. For future you can add 1/2 to 1 lb of carapils to your mash or steeping grains for the same result.

Fat Toad Brewery

Quick Reply