Adding gelatin to fully carbed pumpkin ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justins2582

Reaction score
I made a pumpkin ale and it is finished and fully carbed up. The taste is amazing but it is pretty hazy, I'm assuming from the pumpkin starches I added to the mash and boil. I am submitting this into a competition and the deadline is Sep 22nd.

I will start by saying I've never used gelatin. In your opinion, do I have enough time for this to be an option? Is it even an option given that the beer is already fully carbed? Should I not worry about the clarity and submit as is?

Now that it is carbed, I don't think there is a whole lot you can do about the haze.

How long did you leave it in the fridge before checking it? Maybe a bit longer cold storage will help whatever is causing the haze to drop out of suspension.

Regardless, I would not worry about it too much.

I'll just ride it out and hope I don't get too much deducted. I'll use it next time I brew a pumpkin beer.

Used Kieselsol first 2.5ml, 24 hours after added gelantine 2.5ml to my fully carbed and 2 weeks in the fridge IPA. 2 days after it went from hazy to crystal clear. It works great.

Keep in mind that "appearance" is a possible total of 3 points. If it's got a nice head and color, you might get gigged one point (out of a total of 50 points) if it's cloudy/hazy. I think that's worth it, rather than messing around with it and possibly having oxidation/carbonation/flavor/gelatin globs/etc issues!

Bonde said:
Used Kieselsol first 2.5ml, 24 hours after added gelantine 2.5ml to my fully carbed and 2 weeks in the fridge IPA. 2 days after it went from hazy to crystal clear. It works great.

I read that Kieselsol along with gelatin will remove tannins as well as bitterness in wine. Does that mean that the hop bitterness will decrease in a beer?

I had no off flavors what so ever. No decrease in bitterness either.
Oxidation... ahhh come on. Opening the safety valve on my keg to use a pipette to throw in 2.5ml through the pipette size hole would oxide my beer. It’s a beer not a sterile lab :mug:

Of cause it removes something, Kiselesol cling to the proteins and gelatin in adjunction to, make a nice cake on the bottom of the keg. Same process a lagering where yeast and proteins also come out suspension with time.
I've had no beer loose bitterness with time either, eventhough tannins can mellow, as in a great Bordeaux vintage (when talking wine):rockin:.

I had no off flavors what so ever. No decrease in bitterness either.
Oxidation... ahhh come on. Opening the safety valve on my keg to use a pipette to throw in 2.5ml through the pipette size hole would oxide my beer. It’s a beer not a sterile lab :mug:

Of cause it removes something, Kiselesol cling to the proteins and gelatin in adjunction to, make a nice cake on the bottom of the keg. Same process a lagering where yeast and proteins also come out suspension with time.
I've had no beer loose bitterness with time either, eventhough tannins can mellow, as in a great Bordeaux vintage (when talking wine):rockin:.

And then you would bottle it directly from the keg, for the competition three days away? Remember, that's what's going on here. He wants to have it ready to submit to a competition in a couple of days.

Won't be messing with it. Yooper brings up a good point about the pointing for appearance. I think the flavor is amazing and will hold it up in the comp.

Does everyone have this clarity issue in their pumpkin beers?

Back