Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Adding beerline resistance inside the keg.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Yeah, I'd like to figure this out as well. I can see the benefit of having no extra line inside the keg, or outside for that matter, and just planting a tap right on the top of the keg. Epoxy mixing device??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you go to lowes in the glue section you'll find one and five minute epoxies where the two elements that must be mixed are expelled via a common plunger. You attach a long tubed tip that has a sort of honeycombed tube inside that causes both parts to mix on the way out. It's about the right size for insertion into a small length of 1/4" ID beerline. It's supposed to work well but I'm a little concerned that it's a source of nucleation more than resistence.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I finally got around to a little keg disassembly. I took some photos but haven't gotten them to the computer yet. I bought from McMaster two sizes of epoxy mixers.

74695A58 BAYONET MIXER NOZZLE, 5.3"L, 1/4" BLUNT TIP

4695A56 BAYONET MIXER NOZZLE, 2.9"L, 3/16" BLUNT TIP

I got the idea from the Maltose Falcons DIY flow gate

The insides from the 1/4" one just fits in a dip tube. This therefore might work really well. Multiple mixers could also be inerted to mimic and even longer beer line. My only concern is that it is not quite tight enough and the beer would take the short route and run around the mixer rather than through it. The fit was pretty close, but was loose enough that it could slide up and down the tube, but not so loose that it would rattle around.

I also found that the insides of the 3/16" model will fit snugly inside of a 3/8" beer line (at least Micromatic brand). The fit was quite snug. I was putting it in tubing at the temp of my basement (50F) and it was a bit too snug. I only got it halfway in my tubing test scrap. I had to take it upstairs to the warm to get it back out. The 3/16" mixer is half the length of the 1/4" version. This would simplify the Maltose Falcons version as no splice connections would have to be made. Both mixer inserts don't like to be bent too much and will break if you apply too much force. For this scenario, I'd work with well warmed tubing and maybe add a little soap to help with the insertion.

I was thinking about installing two of the 3/16" ones in one of my beer lines right inside where it connects to the keg disconnect and have this be my dedicated tap for high carb beers. I might instead go with the 1/4" mixer in the dip tube. I've got a new regulator coming so I can serve beers at two pressures. I think when I get that set up I'll try the 1/4" mixer with a Saison I'm currently serving at the same pressure as my stout. The 1/4" mixer in the diptube (if it works) might be better as it would be easy to take in and out and I could easily install it in any keg prior to filling it up. Plus I could use any of my four taps and not have to dedicate one to higher carb beers (or just deal with the slower pour for regularly carbed beers).

Hopefully this weekend I'll get the second CO2 pressure line rigged. I'll have to drill another hole in the side of my fridge (Tank is outside). I'll time a pour before inserting the mixer, and then after - at the same pressure. If it is working, it should take longer to pour.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This would be great if it works without causing more foaming than without. I've wanted to buy some of the same tubing Kal uses (Pet lined barrier tubing) but only comes in 1/4" This way I could use that line without having 20ft or more for each tap. (Heck would even be nice to have 3 ft 3/16" lines)

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I take my kegs on the road, I inject CO2 with this:

It's easy enough to regulate... I have hooked up a cobra tap with about a foot and a half of tube on the other end.

I did just get one of these:

to attach a faucet to a pin lock. Will test it out at the end of February.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Maybe one could just put the epoxy mixing innards into the dip tube itself. I've got two sizes of innards at home. I'll see if I can find time in the next couple of days to see if one will fit inside.
Quoting myself, I found the time and it works!!!!! I posted the details in a new thread so as not to be buried

It works!!!!!!
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
FullDraw

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

I just tried this out with an empty filled with water. I know, not the same, but the beer's not ready yet. And flow rate of a liquid compared to itself shouldn't really matter. Anyway, I had some 1/4" OD 1/8"ID harder plastic tubing at my disposal. It fit firmly in the diptube. Without the addition and a 3' picnic tap (stock), i filled my jar in 5 seconds. After pushing the new tube into the dip tube, the jar filled in 35 seconds. Same pressure both times. Tried it with the tap right on top (no hose) and it was a hair faster (30 sec). I'll need to try this with beer for foaming issues, but I have high hopes for this. Mine is closer to the original post, but I really like pjj2ba's test results.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Did you fill the entire length of the dip tube?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
FullDraw

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

Yes, but that might be too slow. It was about 24" . I tried with a 12" piece (placed into the top of the tube) and it was too fast. So, I see a trial and error period next week when my beer gets carbed up. And my pressure was constant at 12 PSI

Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This could be really handy as I've looked at those ball lock faucet adaptors but thought, man that's a pain in the arse to keep fiddling with low PSI levels. If you had a solution that just plain worked, a predictable on the road dispensing kit would be sweet. I take a 5 gallon keg to a motorcycle rally every year and it lasts the weekend, this way I could set my PSI to maintain carbonation and forget about it.

Quick Reply