Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > added priming sugar a little late?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
ozzy616
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default added priming sugar a little late?

My first batch ever. I transfered the beer to my bottling bucket, before adding my priming sugar/water mix. I ended up adding it after and slowly, gently stirred it around. Any one know if this going to be a problem? Also when turning on the spigot from the bottling bucket there seemed to be a lot of air from the hose backing into the bucket, but I don't know anyway around this...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Bromley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy616
My first batch ever. I transfered the beer to my bottling bucket, before adding my priming sugar/water mix. I ended up adding it after and slowly, gently stirred it around. Any one know if this going to be a problem? Also when turning on the spigot from the bottling bucket there seemed to be a lot of air from the hose backing into the bucket, but I don't know anyway around this...

I know it is recommended that you put the sugar solution in the bucket then rack the beer onto it, but I do it the way you did and haven't had a problem. Not saying it's the way to go or anything, just that I 've brewed/bottled almost 40 batches and it's worked for me.

Air in the bottling hose is also common. Not ideal, but it happens. It won't ruin your beer.

Next Up: American IPA, Bock, Belgian Blond Ale
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Bohemian Pilsener
Bottle Conditioning: Dragon's Milk (100% Maris Otter and Kent Goldings, 1.084) and subsequent small beer, Berliner Weisse
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Ale, Maibock, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Kolsch, The Bitter Truth, Altbier, Special Bitter, EF Clone

Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
ozzy616
Recipes 

thanks for the reassurance. can't wait to try this out.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
ozzy616
Recipes 

Just FYI it turned out great. Much better than I expected for my first ever batch. And it sure didn't last long. Got my next batch set for next weekend.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
debaniel
Recipes 

congrats on the great first batch!

Quick Reply