Add more yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a barley wine that spent 4 weeks in primary and the last four months in secondary/brite. I am planning on bottling this coming weekend as the taste of this weekend has it in my zone. I am curious if the yeast will be in good enough condition to just add priming sugar and go to town? If not, do I need to add some fresh yeast? If so, I know about the yeast pitching calculator, how have you easily measured out the yeast to add at bottling? Does ABV here make a difference? Dry or liquid?

Thank you for your time and help,
Scot

I haven't done a barley wine but have done some pretty big beers. I would think you have enough yeast to carbonate to the level you need. I don't think you have to worry about the alcohol content being to high. I am sure some barley wine guru's on here will point you in the right direction.

oach said:
Hey All,

I have a barley wine that spent 4 weeks in primary and the last four months in secondary/brite. I am planning on bottling this coming weekend as the taste of this weekend has it in my zone. I am curious if the yeast will be in good enough condition to just add priming sugar and go to town? If not, do I need to add some fresh yeast? If so, I know about the yeast pitching calculator, how have you easily measured out the yeast to add at bottling? Does ABV here make a difference? Dry or liquid?

Thank you for your time and help,
Scot

There will be enough yeast in suspension to carb without adding any but being a big beer it will take a while, probably more than six weeks, patience will be your friend!

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

I don't mind the patience part as it has taken me five months to get to this point.

Back