Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Add honey to keg for sweetness?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Add honey to keg for sweetness?

I brewed a Belgian Wit a couple of weeks ago...it's sitting in secondary right now. Tastes great but it came in with a slightly lower OG than the recipe specified (only my 3rd all grain batch so I'm still not as efficient as I'd like to be...I think I was at about 70% for this one).

Anyway...the beer tastes great but it's not as sweet as I had hoped. To remedy this, I've been thinking about adding some honey when I keg.

My theory is that the honey will boost the sweetness and bring the flavor to where I want it...and it will be too cold in the kegerator (38 degrees F) for the yeast to ferment the added honey (I do NOT want the honey to ferment).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I understand your theory, it kind of makes sense in principle, but I'm not sure that some of the yeasties still wouldn't wake up an attempt to ferment the fresh food...

For the Noobs looking in, that's the thing with people adding honey to beer, you really AREN'T getting much honey flavor in yourr beer, because it is fermenting away to alcohol, like mead. Which unless you kill fermentation and back sweeten with honey that won't ferment, really doesn't have that much of a sweet honey flavor. (To get a real honey flavor, use the darkest you can find, with the most concentration of flavor, or even better, use Gambrinus honey malt ProBrewer Interactive - View Single Post - Honey Malt)

Now in your case, I don't know if simply having the beer cold would be enough to keep them from processing the food...and what's going to happen if the glass of beer gets up to 55 degrees, is it going to start fermenting on the spot?

I dunno...

How bout using lactose instead? Boil up some lactose in a couple cups of water and add THAT to the keg....we know that that is unfermentable.

Just a thought.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
ACo
Recipes 

ditto on lactose. It's a good backsweetener.

Primary 1: Empty :(
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: 802 AIPA (6% abv), Dunkelweizen (6.6% abv), EdWort's Apfelwein (8.5% abv), Centennial IPA (6.2% abv), 802 House Honey Pils Pale Ale (3.2% abv), 802 100IBU IIPA (7.7% abv), 802 Magnum/Centennial IPA (6.0% abv), 802 Honey Cream Ale (6.0% abv), Bourbon Breakfast Stout (7% abv)

Old 07-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

lactose +1

There's no way I would put fermentable sugars in there for the purpose of sweetening.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'd go with "the beer tastes great" and leave it at that. Sometimes, well almost always when you tinker with something great you wind up with something not so great.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I'd go with "the beer tastes great" and leave it at that. Sometimes, well almost always when you tinker with something great you wind up with something not so great.
Yeah, that's a good point.

THat tends to be my philosophy as well....after the beer is bottle, or kegged, it's done...and if it's good enough, enjoy it...and fiddle with the recipe for the next time you brew it.

There's a lot of batches on the horizion....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A glass of beer in front of me wouldn't last long enough to start fermenting, but I wouldn't add honey to a keg. The only reason I can see for using honey in beer is to lighten the body and increase ABV...

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You are almost correct. The yeast won't ferment the honey quickly, but they will ferment it, even at 38F.

More to the point, it is tough to judge a Wit before it is carbonated.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Now in your case, I don't know if simply having the beer cold would be enough to keep them from processing the food...and what's going to happen if the glass of beer gets up to 55 degrees, is it going to start fermenting on the spot?
Revvy, please, please, PLEASE tell me that you are not serious. You're just kidding around with the guy, right? RIGHT?

Hey, OP, the idea of it spontaneously launching into fermentation in the glass as you drink it is, well, I mean, that HAS to be a joke. Sweeten with honey if you want, or use lactose if you have it or are worried about spontaneous fermentation in your glass...but if you want to use honey, it's not going to hurt anything.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
You are almost correct. The yeast won't ferment the honey quickly, but they will ferment it, even at 38F.

More to the point, it is tough to judge a Wit before it is carbonated.
You sure about that? I've never seen an ale yeast ferment at 38...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply