Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra - length of line?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I use 14 feet coiled on top of the kegs. FWIW I was having all kinds of trouble getting the lines on the barbs, then I discovered a little trick. I took a pen, removed the ink cartridge. Then dipped the line in boiling water, shoved the pen into the line, dipped again, remove the pen then shove the line on the barb as fast as possible. Worked every time. Only took me an hour of racking my knuckles on my shanks to figure this out

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bump (so I can find it)

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello,
After a few more days my pour seems to be about perfect. I need to count and see how long it takes to fill up my pint but I am thinking 4-5 seconds.
I have about 19.7 feet.

but I am still wondering how to calculate this length.

From the group buy thread this is posted -

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/group-buy-accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-line-257625/index17.html#post3185122

So if we use line resistance of 1.2, height of 23 inches from center of keg to shank, using Perlicks, set at 12.5 psi - who has a calculator showing anything close to 20 feet for my setup?
The few calculators I found do not come close to this length.

thanks Kevin

Old 02-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like 20' (12psi). It is a slower pour, but I'm not in that big of a rush. Drop the glass at the end to get whatever head you want. I love that tubing.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
Hello,
After a few more days my pour seems to be about perfect. I need to count and see how long it takes to fill up my pint but I am thinking 4-5 seconds.
I have about 19.7 feet.

but I am still wondering how to calculate this length.

From the group buy thread this is posted -

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/group-buy-accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-line-257625/index17.html#post3185122

So if we use line resistance of 1.2, height of 23 inches from center of keg to shank, using Perlicks, set at 12.5 psi - who has a calculator showing anything close to 20 feet for my setup?
The few calculators I found do not come close to this length.

thanks Kevin
I see it more as a trial/error thing. None of the calculators i've come across estimate line length particularly well in the home setting.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I bought some of this tubing and have not installed it yet. I think I am going to get some of the perlick flow control faucets and not worry about length.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtejedor View Post
I bought some of this tubing and have not installed it yet. I think I am going to get some of the perlick flow control faucets and not worry about length.
I was really excited about those flow control faucets until I realized they don't make them in stainless steel. They're chrome plated brass.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #28
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I received this PDF from the manufacturer regarding the restriction resistance of their tubing. The "barrier" tubing is apparently the Bev-Seal Ultra tubing. According to that chart the resistance value is 2.2 lbs/ft of line, which just so happens to be the same resistance value for their vinyl tubing of the same size. It doesn't seem to add up for me. Anyone want to take a public stab at running some equations on here with the 2.2 lbs/ft of line as the resistance value?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeller View Post
No clamps on mine. After i got it on using a heat gun and screw driver, i heated it up one last time, then cooled it off. The stuff shrinks when it cools, so it forms to the barbs. I am completely confident that 3/16 line on 1/4 inch barbs is not coming off, and not going to leak one bit.
+1 times 26. That's about how many barbs I've done this way. Only one leaked and I re-did it.

My multiplier ended up being about 1.1. So as per that, here are my lengths for my 7.2 cu ft freezer (not too much rise or distance):
6 PSI - 7'
7 PSI - 8'
8 PSI - 9'
9 PSI - 10'
10 PSI - 11'
11 PSI - 12' - Oatmeal Stout
12 PSI - 13'
13 PSI - 14' - Belgian PA
14 PSI - 16' - RyeIPA
15 PSI - 18' -
16 PSI - 20'
23 PSI - 30' - Berliner Weisse
30 PSI - 40' - Seltzer/Soda

It's all really about the speed. You don't have to test it with beer or wait till the beer is carbed to know. You just try for a particular speed of pour that you think is good. When I put a fresh keg of seltzer water on and charge it with gas, it still comes out at the same speed it would if it had gas in it. That gives me the verification I need. I dunno, 6 seconds per pint?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
Now, if we can just get verification of the line resistance. I put in an email to the company. I'll post back if I hear anything, but if someone else has information that they can provide, please do so.
After a few back and forth emails with Accuflex, I finally got someone in their engineering department. Here's what I received:

Coors and the other breweries are the ones that have actually put the research into resistance on Barrier and vinyl lines. I have worked for 3 different Hose companies (Eaton, Arrow Hose as well as Accuflex). None have data on resistance that is internally generated.

All we can suggest to you is that as the Inside Dimension of a tube shrinks, the resistance increases. The relationship is not linear with resistance increasing at an accelerated rate, the smaller the ID is. At some point the tubes cross regardless of the material employed.

The data stated in the Coors Draft Services Manual is the “most” accurate data we have. This data is not “new” either. It has been around for a dozen years at least. No one has come to us before and suggested that they cannot balance their system properly. (Granted most people are still using Vinyl for choker lines but I know that Perlick has used our barrier lines as choker lines before and did not indicate to us that they needed to add footage in order to increase resistance).

From a trouble-shooting Perspective are you able to contact Perlick, Coors Draught Services or someone like Micro-Matic? Their Experience with Balancing systems will be of more value to you than anything we can give you.

The Coors data is the PDF I linked to in a previous post that stated a resistance value of 2.2 lb/ft. What I found most interesting was the sentence I put in bold that indicates that they do no believe this barrier tubing (at 3/16") requires any more length than vinyl tubing of the same ID to achieve the same resistance in the line. That seems to be contrary to the consensus here on HBT. Thoughts?

Quick Reply