Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > About to keg for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default About to keg for the first time

First off, I read the FAQ and have done quite a bit of searching, but I can't seem to get all of my questions answered. What I really need is a complete dummy's guide to kegging. Anyone have one?

When I rack the beer into the keg, how much head space should I leave?

"To purge oxygen out of the air space in the keg, pull up on the pressure relief valve while the gas is hooked up. Now the keg is ready for carbonation!"
So I let some co2 into the keg and then pull the pressure release valve, but do I pull it and let all the air pressure out, or only a little?

I plan to force carb at 30psi for 24 hours then back it down to serving pressure (12 psi), but I don't plan to shake the keg for 100 seconds like I read, that ok? I read the beer absorbs co2 a lot easier at colder temps so should I put the keg in the fridge for 24 hours before cranking it to 30psi to get the beer cooled down first?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4282 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Fill the keg up to the "line" under the rubber top. You can go a bit more, but make sure the short "in" diptube isn't covered at the bottom.

To purge, I give it a blast of co2 at 30 psi until it stops. Turn off the gas, and purge it. And do that twice more before filling one last time.

I usually keg my beer at fermentation temperature, give it a blast of co2 as described, and then set it in the kegerator. To hurry it, I set it at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge it and reset to 12 psi for two days. By then it's starting to carb up.

I don't move the keg once it's in the kegerator, and let it sit for about four days. Then I pour about 3 ounces- it's a sludgy yucky pour- and dump it. After that it should be nice clear beer that is carbed up.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Fill the keg up to the "line" under the rubber top. You can go a bit more, but make sure the short "in" diptube isn't covered at the bottom.

To purge, I give it a blast of co2 at 30 psi until it stops. Turn off the gas, and purge it. And do that twice more before filling one last time.

I usually keg my beer at fermentation temperature, give it a blast of co2 as described, and then set it in the kegerator. To hurry it, I set it at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge it and reset to 12 psi for two days. By then it's starting to carb up.

I don't move the keg once it's in the kegerator, and let it sit for about four days. Then I pour about 3 ounces- it's a sludgy yucky pour- and dump it. After that it should be nice clear beer that is carbed up.
Pretty much exactly what I do. I saw CraigTube do a slightly different beginning purge - he turned on the gas at 30 psi and let it start flooding the head space for a few seconds and then used the pressure release valve in short quick bursts about 5 times over 15 seconds. After that, I guess the assumption is that co2 has pushed out the oxygen in the head space and you can set it to whatever you want and go from there.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
To hurry it, I set it at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge it and reset to 12 psi for two days. By then it's starting to carb up.
Why 36 hours? I've been reading 24 hours otherwise you risk overcarbonating it?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I usually do a somewhat modified method (if I'm not in a hurry to get the beer). Instead of doing a secondary or super long primary (e.g over 2 weeks), I will rack from the primary to a sanitized keg, then do the co2/vent/co2/vent/co2 trick at 20psi or so. Then I will let the keg sit (at fermentation temperature) for another week (or whatever) to futher condition. Then I will do a cold crash of the keg (with enough pressure to ensure it stays sealed), followed by drawing off the crap from the bottom and whatever number of days necessary to carbonate it to serving pressure.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
Why 36 hours? I've been reading 24 hours otherwise you risk overcarbonating it?
Probably because I start with warm beer- it probably takes 12 hours to chill it, and it's never overcarbed after 36 hours.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So reading this I read the below quote:

"NOTE - once your beer is carbonated you must always shut off the gas to your
keg. If not, the beer will over-carbonate"

I don't understand this. While I do the 30psi blast for 36 hours don't I have to leave everything open so as the beer absorbs the c02 more goes into the keg? Then when I turn it down to serving pressure (12psi), don't I leave everything open so the keg stays under the correct pressure?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I always keep the gas on, at 12 psi, in my kegerator. It won't overcarbed.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you leave your beer on the gas at the proper serving pressure to achieve the carbonation you want based on the temp, then you will NEVER over carb your beer. It will equalize to that pressure and keep it constant at the carb level you set it at.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok how do u go from 20 to 12 by simply releasing the valve? I am afraid to do this once the beer is carbed because i would think it would foam up considerably, just like opening a beer can that you just shook up.

Quick Reply