Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 5L mini keg priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I over-primed one of these once.

The keg was funny shaped and the beer over-carbed but it turned out ok.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
tjt_88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

Bob, using these is NOT the same as bottles. More like using actual full kegs for carbonating. Since they hold 1.3 gallons you prime them like they hold ONE gallon. So about 25% LESS sugar is used. Using one of the online carbonation sites makes it easy.

Also, if you go over the previously stated CO2 volumes limit on these (far less than glass bottles or other kegs) you increase the potential for keg bombs rapidly. The threshold is far lower than beer bottles.

It really sounds like you've never used these before so do everyone a favor and stfu about it. I HAVE used them before and did look up the info I'm posting (from both resellers and from the manufacturer's of them). While I wouldn't use 1/3 of the sugar for the volume of beer I would keep the parameters in mind. Otherwise have a mop on hand or put these in a plastic bin while carbonating (to make cleanup easier when they pop).
So do you have an amount you do?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
MrVix
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default mini's

All this discussion and still not one person has posted the actual amount of priming sugar that they use per keg. If anyone uses these mini-kegs...please tell me the amount of priming sugar that you use per keg. Don't tell me what will happen if I use too much, I already know what will happen! That's why I am asking for a specific amount per keg for most styles of beer.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I told you i used 4 to 5 coopers drops. But since you can't seem to understand.
You need to calculate the amount of sugar you'll need to use when bottling the same volume in this case 5l. Then use 1/3 of that for your minikeg.

4119L brewed since August 2011.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
MrVix
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default mini's

akavango...I have a fairly lofty IQ and I understand plenty. As I stated I use corn sugar not coopers drops. That is why I specifically asked about sugar and not coopers drops.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #26
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Then go to a priming calculator, check the style of beer your are making and calculate the amount for 5l. Then use a third of it.

The amount of priming sugar will change from beer to beer. So unless you specified what beer you want to keg. No one can give you a exact answer.

Do your own research now.

4119L brewed since August 2011.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Bob, using these is NOT the same as bottles. More like using actual full kegs for carbonating. Since they hold 1.3 gallons you prime them like they hold ONE gallon. So about 25% LESS sugar is used. Using one of the online carbonation sites makes it easy.

Also, if you go over the previously stated CO2 volumes limit on these (far less than glass bottles or other kegs) you increase the potential for keg bombs rapidly. The threshold is far lower than beer bottles.

It really sounds like you've never used these before so do everyone a favor and stfu about it. I HAVE used them before and did look up the info I'm posting (from both resellers and from the manufacturer's of them). While I wouldn't use 1/3 of the sugar for the volume of beer I would keep the parameters in mind. Otherwise have a mop on hand or put these in a plastic bin while carbonating (to make cleanup easier when they pop).
Hi

There is an enromous differance between using 1/3 the sugar (one pound instead of 3 pounds) and using 1/4 less sugar (three pounds insteand of four). That's what I was trying to clarify.

Bob

Old 07-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #28
tjt_88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1.31 oz per mini keg. Northernbrewer has a priming calculator.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #29
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I have these and I use them the legs themselves are on their third batch through them the first time I used them I used half of the 4.5 ounce priming sugar that came with my brew kit second time I wanted a higher carbed beer an used 3.5 ounces and that was too much this time around I mini kegged half a batch of Austin Homebrew clone of summertime kolsch and I used 2.5 ounces the other half I bottled. I have six mini kegs and what I have been doing is kegging half of the batch and bottling the other half.

I have had no keg bombs odd bulges or ill effects from using the mini kegs and I also use the party star tapper as well. Mixed success there make sure you have a good seal.

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #30
OldBunny
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I buy some of my kits from William's Brewing in CA. Their recommendation is 2 oz. of priming sugar if you're kegging. Of course, that's for a 5 gallon batch, so 5 liters would work out to about 1/2 oz.

Quick Reply