Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 5L mini keg priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
where did you get them? i want a small keg.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/party-star-deluxe-tap-system.html

I have looked into getting theses also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Like I said, I used them once. After that they sat empty due to the array of issues making them more trouble than they were worth. I started kegging with actual kegs last summer and haven't looked back. I do bottle some from faucet/keg but most goes from tap to glass. Save the money you would spend on those and put it towards an actual real keg system.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Like I said, I used them once. After that they sat empty due to the array of issues making them more trouble than they were worth. I started kegging with actual kegs last summer and haven't looked back. I do bottle some from faucet/keg but most goes from tap to glass. Save the money you would spend on those and put it towards an actual real keg system.
Thanks man. im still searching for that sweet deal.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
Thanks man. im still searching for that sweet deal.
Only way I'd ever consider it would be for free. Even then, it would be a reluctant deal. For what I've heard from other brewers it's hit or miss on these. More often it's a miss.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Dang those are expensive! I wanted a little keg so I got one of those Coors Light home draft things from a buddy. Works great and looks just like a party pig.

I fill it just before use from my keg. Works great if you already keg but I doubt you could carb in them.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
msabin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got mine full of beer (or rootbeer - Virgil's is my favorite) then figured they were "free" so I'd better use them.
I got a paint-ball CO2 bottle and adapters from KegConnection.com and assembled a brass tee to allow CO2 in, and beer out (thread elsewhere on this site)
Force carbonate when I make soda, natural carbonate when I fill them with beer.

1/2 sugar called for with bottles -- I put the priming sugar in the bottling bucket, transfer in the beer, fill the 5L minis then bottle the rest (if any) with a little extra priming guestimated in.

The last time I primed with full bottle priming, the 5L minis over carbed, and one of them ballooned out -- no leaks, and we drank the beer (of course) but the keg was too oddly shaped to use again.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
tjt_88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was unaware of the priming of these kegs the first one I used it. I bought them of if a more experienced brewer and he forgot to in form me and I invited my family over to try my wheat beer that I was so very proud of and I had to clean it off the walls as they were arriving. Haha. But I heard 1/3 the sugar too. But have yet to put it to the test. I will be bottling in them again soon so wish me luck!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

If you put in 1/3 the sugar you normally would use, that will give you 1/3 the CO2 volume. Normal carbonation is in the 2 to 3 volumes range. 1/3 the sugar will give you one volume. That's not going to give you much in the beer at all.

Bob

Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVix View Post
Everything that I have read says that priming these mini-kegs is NOT like bottle priming, and that they tend to over-carbonate or pick up flavors from the high volume of sugars used. That is why I wanted some advice from someone that is currently using mini kegs.
I haven't read that, but I will concur. I primed my last batch like I was bottling it. The first keg I used was completely over-carbonated. I never had to attach the CO2 to empty it and each pour took about 10 minutes to have the head settle. I'll try again with about 1/3 the amount.

On a side note, they sell the pressure relief bungs that only allow them to pressurize/carbonate to about 2.5 volumes. I was going to buy some, but I'll be back to my kegging equipment next year. So it's kind of moot to do so. Although I may just buy them anyway. I like spending money I don't need to for some reason.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

If you put in 1/3 the sugar you normally would use, that will give you 1/3 the CO2 volume. Normal carbonation is in the 2 to 3 volumes range. 1/3 the sugar will give you one volume. That's not going to give you much in the beer at all.

Bob
Bob, using these is NOT the same as bottles. More like using actual full kegs for carbonating. Since they hold 1.3 gallons you prime them like they hold ONE gallon. So about 25% LESS sugar is used. Using one of the online carbonation sites makes it easy.

Also, if you go over the previously stated CO2 volumes limit on these (far less than glass bottles or other kegs) you increase the potential for keg bombs rapidly. The threshold is far lower than beer bottles.

It really sounds like you've never used these before so do everyone a favor and stfu about it. I HAVE used them before and did look up the info I'm posting (from both resellers and from the manufacturer's of them). While I wouldn't use 1/3 of the sugar for the volume of beer I would keep the parameters in mind. Otherwise have a mop on hand or put these in a plastic bin while carbonating (to make cleanup easier when they pop).

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply