5 Ltr mini kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody used these and there opinions on them, dont have the money for the whole keg setup yet and im tired of bottling,
seems like a pretty cheap alt at $10 each

Just wondering if anybody used these and there opinions on them, dont have the money for the whole keg setup yet and im tired of bottling,
seems like a pretty cheap alt at $10 each

Can you point us to what you are looking at?

He's talking about standard 5L mini kegs like you buy at the grocery with Heinekin or something in them. You can get craft brews in them too, but Heinekin would be available in the grocery store.
assortedminikegs.jpg

He's talking about standard 5L mini kegs like you buy at the grocery with Heinekin or something in them.

Ah, those have co2 tanks inside that cannot be refilled or something like that. People have mentioned it before and it was found to be a non-starter.

Also, since you keep searching for things cheaper than a corny system, you can try tap-a-draft, party pig, or mr beer.

Type any of those three into google and you should find them.

Yes you can use them - do a search and you will see some threads about it. The consensus seems to be that they have a limited lifespan and most folks that have used them move on quickly to better alternatives. If you really don't have the space then a tap-a-draft or party pig would be better I think. If it's just a cost issue I think you will find that a full keg system in a craigslist fridge can be quite cheap if you wait for the right deal and go bare-bones on the keg setup.

I'm holding onto one as something to fill sometime from my kegerator to take somewhere if need be, but it's easier to just fill a 1G jug. hmm maybe I'll just throw it away.

I use them now with the Avanti Mini Kegerator. Works pretty well since I adapted it to work with the 20oz paintball CO2 cylinders. I even manged to force carb one, thought I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to use the keg after doing so. It's a nice setup for my use since I brew 2.13 gallon batches.

Back