Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 weeks in bottles...still flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
bull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

did you secondary this brew ,somtimes you can leave it in the secondary to long and all the yeast will settle out of the beer ,making it take a longer time to carb up ,just a thought ,have had this problem myself,your beer bud bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Some reading for you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

And this guy's thread follow up sums up what you need to do...(which is wait)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ambe...nt-carb-81555/

All you need to do is to roll your bottles on a table to re-rouse some of the yeasts and make sure they are above 70 degrees, and come back in a couple weeks...

they will carb up fine

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #13
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew View Post
3/4 cup. It was pre-measured in the kit, so I don't think I screwed up there. Maybe I didn't circulate enough as you said.
Did you weigh the sugar or just assume it was 3/4 C?
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two weeks later, still not carbed....not even close on the one I tried. The ad for the carbonation drops says the beer will be ready in three days. To reduce the chance of bottle bombs, I am thinking about only adding the drops on a Tuesday or Wednesday to as many beers as I will drink on the weekend. This way, all others still have a chance to carb naturally.

Any suggestions or comments on this? Thanks.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #15
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Revvy...I missed this post the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Some reading for you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

And this guy's thread follow up sums up what you need to do...(which is wait)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ambe...nt-carb-81555/

All you need to do is to roll your bottles on a table to re-rouse some of the yeasts and make sure they are above 70 degrees, and come back in a couple weeks...

they will carb up fine
I will roll and wait! Revvy, I somehow missed this post my last two trips to this thread. I read the links, and makes sense to me. So, I am going to wait a few more weeks and see what happens. If no luck then, I will volunteer my beer for the experiment you mentioned in the referenced link.

Thanks for the info...sorry I missed it earlier. I missed it a couple of weeks ago and then again today. I have to read fast from work and sometimes I miss good advise.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
captainjay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for this thread, and the others, gents - I have exactly the same problem and will try the same solution.

I, too, was getting ready to dump some bottles... Hopefully that won't be necessary!

Jay

Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Would too low of a temperature cause the bottles to take longer to carb? Or, in other words, is there a direct ratio between temp and carbonation time? For example, if everything else is equal (same batch, sanatation, all caps sealed, stirred well, etc.) would some bottles carb faster if they were carbing at a higher temp - say +5*F?

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Last edited by Tripod; 11-03-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
acd
Recipes 

Are you sure the seal was good from cap to bottle? I've had no carb from some brews and perfect from others, and I assume it was the lack of seal when bottling.

Primary: Apfelwein w/Cinnamon
Secondary: Empty
Bottled:Copper Ale, Apfelwein, Moose Drool, Double Chocolate Stout
Up Next: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acd View Post
Are you sure the seal was good from cap to bottle? I've had no carb from some brews and perfect from others, and I assume it was the lack of seal when bottling.

I guess that's always a possibility and I do not know how you would prove it. I had one good beer 3-4 weeks ago and the rest have been flat. I do not think that it is likely all of my bottles lack a seal. I do think that there is a possibility that my priming sugar/water didn't mix well with the beer in bucket. I accidently siphoned the beer and the added the sugar instead vice versa.

For all...... I am giving up and getting some carbonation drops. I read the ad and it says that they carb in three days. Here's my question:

Suppose I add the drops to a bottle that IS carbed. I think I will know as soon as I open it, but suppose I don't. If I add the drops to a carbed beer, is it likely that I would have a bottle bomb before I drank it 3-4 days later? I am only going to add the drops to a 6'er at a time for these reasons.

NOTE:
I have two kegs, co2 tank, and a regulator in my closet. In fact, I had them before I bottled this beer, but did want to waste good beer while trying to figure out how to use the keg stuff without a second frig. So, I went the safe route and bottled with priming sugar. In the future, the kegs and gas will be used!

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you carefully stretch a balloon over the bottle tops it will show you if you have a leak or not. If you get the balloon inflation, you have a leak.

Carb tabs are just compressed dextrose and don't work any faster than bulk dextrose so don't expect miracles.

There is no way of really knowing which bottles are carbed so you are taking a chance adding more sugar.

Quick Reply