Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 weeks in bottles...still flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
431brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 4 weeks in bottles...still flat

Once I post what I think is a problem here, it usually resolves itself a few days later (as you guys always say it will). I hope this is the case here.

I posted here http://http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f...tml#post882083 last weekend that it was taking awhile for my beer to carb, but finally last weekend I tried one and it was perfect.

Thinking things were great now, the first two I opened last night were flat. These are the first I have tried since the good one last weekend. I stopped after pouring these two down the sink. They were flat and were not even golden colored like the one last weekend. They have been in the bottles for 4 weeks now after spending a week in the primary and a few days over two weeks in the secondary. I gave most of the others in the two cases a shake and they look like they are still flat, too.

This is my 5th batch of beer in my short career, and I have never had a carbonation problem - even when I added sugar to each bottle as I did with my first batch. I used glass bottles for the first time, so was expecting this to be my best yet. (Last weekend's sample was, but I'm a little worried now.)

Thanks.
Chris

Why would one bottle have awesome carbonation and be sparkling gold color, and the others look like they just came out of the secondary? I added the pre-measured carbing sugar to a little water, added that to my bucket, and syphoned on top of it?

Should I continue to wait? I now have kegs and gas, so could I pour all of them into the kegs and force carb at this point?

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

did you mix enough when you added the priming sugar? Once i didint stir and i didint have carbonation is half my bottles. How much sugar did you add? 3/4 cup is the usual for 5 gals of beer.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
did you mix enough when you added the priming sugar? Once i didint stir and i didint have carbonation is half my bottles. How much sugar did you add? 3/4 cup is the usual for 5 gals of beer.
3/4 cup. It was pre-measured in the kit, so I don't think I screwed up there. Maybe I didn't circulate enough as you said.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

if they didint carbonate you can get something like this:Coopers Carbonation Drops - 60ct Bag

Uncap and then add and recap your brew...i wouldn't recommend it unless your absolutely sure they didnt carb because its a pain and risks infecting.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

SOme beers take longer than 4 weeks, some can take 6-8 weeks..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What temps are they at? They should condition at or just below fermentation temps for at least 2 weeks. I wouldn't do anything but wait.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
What temps are they at? They should condition at or just below fermentation temps for at least 2 weeks. I wouldn't do anything but wait.
Room temperature....about 75 degrees. I have done anything yet. Still waiting and wondering.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
bearkluttz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Give them each a gentle shake to rouse the yeast. Wait another couple weeks and see what ya get.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!" FC1(SW) Ruben Serrato

Primary: Polar Bear Pale Ale
Secondary: Red Haired Black Bear Stout
Apfelwein Carboy:
Apple/White Cranberry Hybrid
Bottled: EdWorts Apfelwein;RPA Red Panda Ale; Kodiak Brown

Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 AM   #9
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
if they didint carbonate you can get something like this:Coopers Carbonation Drops - 60ct Bag

Uncap and then add and recap your brew...i wouldn't recommend it unless your absolutely sure they didnt carb because its a pain and risks infecting.
Thanks, scinerd3000. The ad says that it only takes 3 days for them to carbonate. I assume that this would be a last resort remedy because if they were used, and the yeast and priming sugar that are already there happened to kick in at the same time, I could create bottle bombs. Is this correct? I guess a safe approach would be to open a bottle to drink. If it were flat, bottle it again, add the drops, and drink asap, which is why it is a pain and risks infection?

The over-carbing part is why I thought it might be safer to pour the bottles into a keg and force carb. It seems that the most popular advice right now is to give it more time, which has proven to be good advice with homebrewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkluttz View Post
Give them each a gentle shake to rouse the yeast. Wait another couple weeks and see what ya get.
bearkluttz, I did that a couple of weeks ago and thought it had cured the problem after getting to drink a good beer last weekend. I will give it another try and give it more time.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice. Any comments on the force carbing approach if I'm still flat after a couple more weeks?

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
scinerd3000
Recipes 

if you decided to pour into a keg i would purge all the o2 and then shake the keg to get all the o2 back out of the liquid also ( the result of pouring it in). Ide still leave them for another few weeks. Some brews take much longer than others and they could just be slow to carb. If there not carbing at this point though i dont think adding the sugar drops will make bottle bombs but thats just me.

Quick Reply