Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 tap keezer-CO2 regulator questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
Ketchepillar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 4 tap keezer-CO2 regulator questions

So I'm building a 4 tap keezer. Have the perlicks, freezer, building materials, etc. I'm turning my attention to CO2. I have 5lb CO2 tank and a double gauge regulator (cant remember the brand. has a blue body and came from a Danby kegerator I believe). I know I definitely don't want just a 4-way manifold. I think that the ability to have three different pressures would be best, but I could be convinced to go for 2 or 4. So, taking into account what I already have, how should I do it? Buy two more primary regulators and link together? Buy three secondary regulators? 1000 pts to whoever plans this out for me in such a way that is reasonably cost effective, but not of cheap quality.

Thanks!

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What about this guy?

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_20_313_ 327&products_id=2641

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I went with a 4 way in the fridge and then a splitter off the tank outside the fridge. This way I can purge/carb outside. I suggest the Micromatic. I went a slightly cheaper route but wished I didn't.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/secondary/premium_4_product_secondary_co2_beer_regulator.sht ml

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
hoffsta
Recipes 

I'm also a newb, planning my first keezer. Help me out here, why would I need different serving pressures for each keg? Aren't most kegs going to be fine if served at 12-15psi? Does the small amount of control offered by multiple regs justify the additional $200+?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

here is a good price on one

4 way secondary..

once we get an upright freezer for foodstuffs i plan on "retiring" my chest freezer just for this :-)

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffsta View Post
I'm also a newb, planning my first keezer. Help me out here, why would I need different serving pressures for each keg? Aren't most kegs going to be fine if served at 12-15psi? Does the small amount of control offered by multiple regs justify the additional $200+?
Yes, most are fine at 10-14 PSI, (or 12-15 PSI, depending on fridge temp). F

Multiple reg justification depends on what you drink. If you like Milds, (at 1.5 volumes), APAs and IPAs (at 2.4 volumes) and Belgians (at close to 3.5 volumes), and soda (at over 4 volumes), then you want multiple regs to have the correct carbonation in all.

If you mostly drink pale ales of one type or another, (like me), and don't mind if the occasional stout you have on tap is slightly overcarbed for style, (like me), then you don't need a crap ton of regs.

OP, I don't see why you need FOUR secondary regs. Unless I'm mistaken, a "secondary" reg is just a primary reg without a high pressure valve. You can easily gang four primary regs together with a couple of 2" x 1/4" pipe nipples from the hardware store. Buy this, pull off the barbed fitting, attach your pipe nipples, and you are good to go.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffsta
Other than serving pressure differences, it's also handy to be able to jack up one pressure to carb (yes I know this isn't the best practice) while leaving the others unaffected. Another good thing is that if you at least have a manifold with check valves, you won't pull beer back into your gas lines.

You don't NEED multiple regulators or even lines. You can just move one gas line around when you need it. But then again, you don't NEED to keg either. For me a 4- way regulator was worth the investment.

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a single reg with a 4 way manifold. It works great for me as I'm just starting out and on a budget. I plan to get a secondary reg body from kegconnection for under $40 so that I can serve Belgians or stouts at the proper co2 volume. A four way is most likely overkill unless you have a mild, IPA, Belgian and soda going at the same time. Might as well get a 2 body reg with 2 way splitters for each. Serve 4 brews at 2 different pressures.

Quick Reply