Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 faucet kit. Can anyone meet or beat this price?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
redraider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 4 faucet kit. Can anyone meet or beat this price?

I'm looking into buying a used chest freezer and setting it up with four Cornelius kegs. I'd like draft faucets rather than picnic faucets. I found the following kit at kegconnection.com: 4 Faucet Refrigerator Conversion Homebrew Kit, Premium Kit. Can I beat this price for a kit elsewhere? Can I build this kit a la carte and beat this price? Can I get a better quality setup in a similar price range? Thanks ahead of time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kegconnection is a great vendor with good service and fast shipping. I got a smaller 2 keg set-up through them and was very happy with my purchase. You could spend a lot of time searching and it's unlikely you are going to find a significantly better price anywhere.

Here is the only caution I would advise. Depending on how soon you want to be fully up and running and how much you want to spend I would consider this kit from them.
4 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Standard Kit

The difference is the kit I posted comes with picnic taps instead of metal faucets. The reason I reccommend this system is there really is no substitute for Perlick Faucets which the kit you are looking at does not have. Other faucets such as the ones you are looking at work at first, but they are extremely prone to sticking (do some searches on sticking beer faucets) and also harder to keep clean. Eventually you would likely be upgrading the metal faucets anyway to Perlicks. Most people do. Yes the Perlicks cost more, but this is one of those situations where it is worth it. Save the money from the cheaper metal faucets now, and add to it until you have enough for the Perlicks. They do occaisionally go on good sales or there are group buys.

I bought a 2 tap system with picnics maybe 2 or 3 months ago and just finished getting all my perlicks and shanks a week or two ago to set-up a 3 tower system in my kegerator. I plan on doing the switchover soon.

Just my opinion, but I think you'll find many people who agree.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep, I believe that I paid a little over two hundred for two spout kit. I was looking for the shut off valves, as you will want to carb one and just purge enough to dispense the other three kegs. This one has it. I would jump on it. I also got the Perlicks, and upgraded to the 10# CO2. Since then, I bought a 5# bottle for backup. I have had no issues, and also bought from kegconnection.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
redraider
Recipes 

Zen,

I admit I have not done much searching for the Perlick faucets yet, but would these 525SS, Perlick Foward Seal, Stainless Steel Beer Faucet do the job? Assuming I went with the kit you suggested, adding four of these Perlick's would only be about $30 more than the kit I originally looked at ($32.39 x 4 = $129.56.). Any thoughts?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraider View Post
Zen,

I admit I have not done much searching for the Perlick faucets yet, but would these 525SS, Perlick Foward Seal, Stainless Steel Beer Faucet do the job? Assuming I went with the kit you suggested, adding four of these Perlick's would only be about $30 more than the kit I originally looked at ($32.39 x 4 = $129.56.). Any thoughts?
Yep, that is the puppy you want. You however missed the 4 shanks you will also need. They were included in the first kit you were looking at.
* Shanks - All Sizes - Choose Your Size!

So if you use kegconnection that is another 12.95 x 4 =51.80

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't know how they are different either, but they recomend the Perlick. It sounded good to me, and I have not had to open them up yet. I have used them consistantly for about a year. I just run sanitizer through them.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
redraider
Recipes 

You beat me to the punch. I just went back to edit my post to include that, but you'd already done it. You're fantastic. I love these boards. Is that everything I'd need other than a dial thermostat and freezer?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

For me, I didn't have all the cash to get everything I wanted all at once, so the way I looked at it was I had my kegerator, and a functional 2 keg system with picnic taps. It allowed me to get used to working with a co2 system, and a couple months later I had the cash and found some deals on the perlicks and shanks. Just need to build my tower now.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
redraider
Recipes 

Stuntman,

How many kegs has that ten pound tank lasted you in the past between refills? Five pound?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraider View Post
You beat me to the punch. I just went back to edit my post to include that, but you'd already done it. You're fantastic. I love these boards. Is that everything I'd need other than a Johnson controller and freezer?
Well, most people build the sidewall up with wood so they can mount the faucets through that rather than risk hitting cooling lines in the freezer. You probably already knew that, but thought I'd mention it. It is commonly referred to as a collar. Here is a DIY link.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...ine-way-99753/

Other than that ....just add beer
You should be ready to rock.

Quick Reply