Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 batches will not carbonate..... Any ideas why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
02883r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungatheart View Post
This is really a mystery. I second the idea of making a starter with the corn sugar to test it.

Now I've gotta know what it is!!
I will try that. Forgive my ignorance, but how do i do that? Pour a bottle in a plastic bottle with a small ammount of boiled corn sugar?

Do you think there is a possiblitly any of it could be spoiled, or end up spoiling because of lack of carbonation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Boil the corn sugar and cool like normal. Take gravity. Add to a sanitized jar and pitch yeast like you would into a batch of beer. Cover with sanitized foil and swirl every time you walk by it. After a few days, take gravity. If it's lowered significantly, like beer would, then the sugar is really fermentable sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #23
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Boil the corn sugar and cool like normal. Take gravity. Add to a sanitized jar and pitch yeast like you would into a batch of beer. Cover with sanitized foil and swirl every time you walk by it. After a few days, take gravity. If it's lowered significantly, like beer would, then the sugar is really fermentable sugar.
Ok, thank you! I'll give that a shot this weekend!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 133

What's the verdict? Bad corn sugar or something else?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungatheart View Post
What's the verdict? Bad corn sugar or something else?
I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get back on to reply, my work blocked this website from use (I'm a teacher so I suppose beer is not the best topic for some reason...)

The verdict is still unclear.... I think it was a combination of temperature and to my surprise using a dishwasher.... I found out a few weeks back that my in laws put close almost 100 of my bottles in their dishwasher before giving them back to me..... I think some of the film may have remained on the bottles. The problem is, I don't know which bottles they were as they have since been reused for new batches.

I had two batches carbonate after putting them in a small area of my house with an electric heater for a week, but they have a strange (not necessarily bad) off taste that has not been there in the past. We'll see how some of my future batches turn out.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The dishwasher might affect head retention, but not carbonation. Hmm.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I'll just reiterate that a friend had 2-3 uncarbonated batches using bottles that were sanitized in the dishwasher. Obviously we can't conclude that it was the dishwasher that caused it but it was the only variable that seemed out of the ordinary that we could think of at the time (this was 5+ years ago).

A total "What If....", but what if the spot-free agent that is used along side of dishwashing detergent leaves a residue and the residue is lethal to yeast (even in small amount). That would leave a batch uncarbonated. Total random thought I guess.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #28
darby
Recipes 

I just read through this thread. I have a batch, a cream stout that I bottled in mid-January, that won't carbonate. I thought my house might be too cold (63 at night and never above 67) so I put half of the bottles on a heating pad. They feel very warm and I turn them over about twice a week. It's been 5 weeks of this and they are still totally flat. I don't get it. I've brewed about 20 batches - extract and mini-mash. This happened once before a few years ago. None of my bottles have been in a dishwasher. I used DME plus a little corn sugar for bottling. I'd like to get to the bottom of this because its too much work to make a batch and have it fail.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
davemattb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had an issue with low carbonation for a few batches too. I first thought it was the altitude. Tried adding more corn sugar or dme with same results. I've since invested in a colonna capper/corker. Its huge, but is so much easier to use. My first batch with that capper i added extra sugar and it was overcarbonated. I think my Red Baron capper wasn't sealing properly. Plus, now I can make wine AND cork those bottles.

Quick Reply