New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 32oz Mississippi Mud bottle reusable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
bismarckbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 32oz Mississippi Mud bottle reusable?

I was checking out these bottles for my collection. They’re large (32oz) and have a nice finger handle. What I’m wondering is if the aluminum screw-on cap will seal properly. Has anyone used or tried these bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I used it years ago but only for small starters...the regular universal carboy bung fits. But since then I've learned that 1 qt. starters aren't really that helpful (unless your starting with a small amount of yeast) and you'll get 40 lashes if you put an airlock on your starter.

It would be fine to fill up and take over to a friend's house or whatever as long as you keep it cold and drink it relatively soon...although it prob technically would be an 'open-container' in your vehicle.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Worried about 'open container'? Slap a sticker (any sticker will do) over the cap and onto the neck of the bottle.

Instant 'seal'.

Though putting it in a cooler in the cargo compartment of the vehicle would probably solve the issue. 'Open container' laws typically only apply to the passenger compartment.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is that stuff any good? I've seen it around and it's dirt (pun intended) cheap.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually like Mississippi Mud, it's a pretty smooth and good beer on the cheap...

Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

I put a brown ale in one as a test last year and surprisingly it tasted as good as, if not better, than the regular bottles of that batch! I am now keeping my eye out for more of those. It would also work nicely as a small growler just to carry to a party.

I don't remember if I actually drank and liked the beer that came in it. I just grabbed one or two empties from the beer store where I get my returnables.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Quick Reply