Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 3 weeks natural carb versus 2 weeks natural carb + 1 week forced carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default 3 weeks natural carb versus 2 weeks natural carb + 1 week forced carb

Not so great news is that I have run out of bottled and kegged homebrew that is "ready" to drink. I have several kegs that I carbed with corn sugar two weeks and have been stored at 70+ F.

So I am wondering if I should just let these go for another week at 70 F and then place in the keezer for 3-5 days to cold condition or should I put them in the keezer now at 12 psi for the remaining week allowing them to hopefully carb and condition at the same time and be ready to drink sooner?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

I have not tested any of the room temp kegs yet. Should use a picnic tap to try the carb level w/o hooking up CO2?

My wife is a grad of U of Mich and had several friends over to watch the game. The game became a blowout so everyone turned to watch the U of Iowa game which was a record comeback for that school. Two hours after the game was over I discovered the kegs were now empty.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1284 Times on 1035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I have not tested any of the room temp kegs yet. Should use a picnic tap to try the carb level w/o hooking up CO2?

My wife is a grad of U of Mich and had several friends over to watch the game. The game became a blowout so everyone turned to watch the U of Iowa game which was a record comeback for that school. Two hours after the game was over I discovered the kegs were now empty.
Well then, it's officially time to panic!

I'd go ahead and fill the keezer with those kegs, hook 'em up at serving pressure, let 'em chill down to serving temp for a couple of days, then try each with a sampling size glass and see how they are. They might be "close enough", might even be "ready", or might need a week or so, but you'll definitely be closer to having brew to drink...

Cheers!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

OK...good to know. I was unsure about what effect having any leftover priming sugar that had not been consumed by the yeast my affect the beer. I usually try to follow Revy's advice about using priming sugar and giving the beer 3 weeks minimum to get ready.

I'll load up the keezer Monday after work and sample Tuesday evening and report back with my findings after they have been verfied by multiple samplings.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
OK...good to know. I was unsure about what effect having any leftover priming sugar that had not been consumed by the yeast my affect the beer. I usually try to follow Revy's advice about using priming sugar and giving the beer 3 weeks minimum to get ready.

I'll load up the keezer Monday after work and sample Tuesday evening and report back with my findings after they have been verfied by multiple samplings.
I think 2 weeks would be enough to ferment out the sugar in there. I'm not sure how much you added, but it wouldn't take long for a couple of ounces of priming sugar to ferment out in a keg at room temperature.

Keep us posted!

Quick Reply