Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 24 Hour Wait From Racking to Bottling???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
ward2ml
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 24 Hour Wait From Racking to Bottling???

1st Brew. Its an IPA, in the primary for 3rd Week. Its ready, but I'm going crazy on the bottle cleaning process and want to wait another day before bottling to make sure I've done enough work.

I want to get as much out of the way as possible tonight so I can come home from work tomorrow and just bottle.

QUESTION:

If I complete the racking from Primary to Bottling Bucket tonight, will I have caused any issues with regards to the priming sugar and carbonation process if I wait 24 hours before actually bottling? I will be puting the priming sugar in the bottling bucket as opposed to puting sugar into the bottles directly. Will it mess up the carbonation or alc. content if the sugar is being eaten in the bottling bucket for 24 hours vs immediately racking and bottling??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you do that your beer will ferment your priming sugar before it goes in the bottles, so you will be bottling beer that doesn't have any sugar to ferment and thus carbonate. Just have everything clean and ready to go and rack the day you bottle. Or if you really want to, just rack and don't put the sugar in. Gently stir it into the beer right before you bottle, but you risk oxidizing this way. I say just wait to rack

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wait. Moving the beer into the bucket is quick enough if you have an auto siphon on your transfer hose, and it can be cleaned up easily enough afterward. Now is the time to move the fermentor to a nice high point (like on your kitchen countertop). Cover it with a black bag or blanket, and don't move it again until the liquid is bottoming out.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you follow the tips in here, your entire bottling process should take no more than an hour.

You don't need to rack the beer the night before.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply