Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 20# co2 tanks on CL--which would you get

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
commonlaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 20# co2 tanks on CL--which would you get

Found a good deal on a 20# tank on CL ($40 seems pretty decent overall). The holdup is I can either get a 20# tank that's out of date but have the protective ring (which i guess makes it easier to move around--not sure what other use it has, if any) or there is one in-date (good until only June 2010) but no protective collar.

Is it a no-brainer to go with the in-date one and hope I find a place to take it to that swaps out tanks?

I have never used co2 tanks before so this is all new to me. Just wondering which will be the cheapest and best option for me in the long run. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

buy the out of date one. Take it to a trade place. A place where you trade an empty for a full tank. They won't even glance at the date on your tank.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

there is no guarantee that when you swap out the tanks the one you get will have a collar on it. So it really doesn't matter

I have been lucky the guys at tech air know what I use the tanks for and if they have them will always give me an aluminum tank when I exchange I started out with to old 20 lb steel tanks that would rust up in the kegerator .

If you are filling them get the one with the collar and get it tested and filled they are much easier to move around with the handle built in

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Find where you'll be getting your gas from and ask if they do exchanges or fills while you wait. That obviously is a big factor. I pay $12 for the 5-year hydro cert.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply