Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 2 weeks in bottle and very little carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
pa-in-utah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2 weeks in bottle and very little carb

Bottled a belgian WIT just over 2 weeks ago. It has been condtioning between 70-75 degrees. I used 5 oz of corn sugar to prime.

Tasted one after a week, very little carbonation, but it was there. Tasted a few bottles on Saturday (had some friends over) and still very little carbonation.

Any advice on how to kick up the carb in my brew?

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Give the bottles a quick roll across the table to resuspend the yeast, and keep them at 70-75 for another week or two.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Carbing is a crap shoot. Sometimes it takes mine a week. Sometimes it takes four.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
vasie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I agree. I had a similar problem with a brown ale recently. I pulled the bottles out of the basement to warm them up a bit. It still took about a month to get the carbination right.

Tap Beta: Beta Blonde

Check out my progress.

Website in progress.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

temp is good, and the amount of sugar you used is plenty. Give them more time is about all you can do now. The rolling technique may help too, but time is the key. If two more weeks and still low, then we may have a problem. The beer will taste better after a couple more weeks. Be patient

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Myke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I actually have the same problem. I've left my bottled beer in a closet for two weeks, that there is no carbination what-so-ever. A warm bottle was opened and there was a little. This is driving me insane because I've nailed the taste and body down with this batch, but my consistency in carbination is horrible. I know that my apartment temperature is kind of low, so that doesn't help out at all.

Anyone have any additional suggestions? I'm still relatively new at this; only my 4th batch. I'm currently attempting to apply the above suggestions, but am wondering how to avoid this problem in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eh, it's past noon. Grab me a beer, would ya?

Last edited by Myke; 07-18-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
phooka
Large Member

Recipes 

Just wait it out. I have had batches take 4-5 weeks sometimes to get carbonated right. Patience grasshopper. Your beer will be better for it anyway. It seems to me the 1-2-3 should often be more like 1-2-5

dale

Old 07-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is some more general advice I posted to another thread regarding bottle conditioning, since the topic seems to come up quite a bit:

1. Assuming you primed correctly, you want to carbonate for at least a week or two at about 70 - 75 F, then another week or two (could be at cellar temperature) to ensure proper carbonation. Sometimes carbonation will take 1 week, sometimes it will take 4. The yeast strain, recipe, length of time since the brew, fermentation temperature, etc. are all variables that contribute to the carbonation time.

2. If you haven't carbonated the first week or two at warmer temperatures and the beer is now flat, then gently swirly your bottles to re-suspend the yeast, and move the bottles to a warm spot for at least a week or two.

3. If that doesn't help, then be patient and leave them for another two weeks.

4. If that doesn't do the trick, you probably have a capping problem or yeast problem. Put a balloon or condom over the neck and cap of the bottle, give it a good shake, and see if any CO2 is leaking out. If so, proceed to step 6 (re-priming).

5. If faulty caps weren't your problem, then you might have to try adding fresh yeast to the bottles. A few grains of dry yeast are all that is necessary. Just make sure to chill the bottled beer first, or adding the yeast will cause gushers.

6. If that still doesn't do it, then you have under-primed. You will need to shake the bottles to release any built-up carbonation, carefully vent the CO2, chill them REALLY cold, and one-by-one remove the cap and add some carbonation tablets to re-prime. Recap and start again. Don't skip the venting and chilling step -- otherwise you will find out why very quickly!

** Make sure you don't jump steps because if you do, you might over-carbonate your beer and create bottle bombs. Not only will it make for bad beer, they are seriously dangerous.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Myke

Recipes 

So I took your advice and it has indeed improved. I just opened a bottle last night and there was some cabonation, but not enough to my liking yet. I know that I definitely did not under-carb, as I put in about 5/6 of a cup of priming sugar in. I have no problem waiting another week, or even a couple more. My question is this: should I try to resuspend the yeast again? Or would that have ill effects on my brew?

Thanks again!

Eh, it's past noon. Grab me a beer, would ya?

Last edited by Myke; 07-26-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd re-suspend the yeast by rolling them on a table. They are Wits afterall.

Quick Reply