Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 2 empty CO2 tanks in2 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 7089

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
TMK:

Teflon tape should only be used on pipe threads. Pipe threads are cut such that they become shallower moving away from the pipe end. The threads actually seal themselves as they are tightened. The teflon tape acts as a thread lubricant so that the connection can be tightened without any gauling. It's really not meant to be a sealant.
Well, then why do they tell you to use it on your shower heads and things like that? Besides... what can it hurt to use teflon tape?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman View Post
Well, then why do they tell you to use it on your shower heads and things like that? Besides... what can it hurt to use teflon tape?
Shower heads use pipe threads, which is why you have to use the PTFE tape.

The tape can prevent a flare-type or other fitting from being tightened all the way, and hence can prevent it from sealing properly.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I've posted this diagram before, in this thread where we had a pretty good discussion about such things.

In a tapered pipe thread like NPT, the threads themselves seal:

In a CGA 320 fitting on a CO2 tank, the washer or integrated o-ring provides the seal and thus the threads are straight:

Anything that prevents the fitting from being fully tightened, such as thread tape, can prevent proper compression of the washer or o-ring and cause a leak.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #24
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I have a hard plastic type washer on the fitting that connects the regulator and the co2 tank so I don't think that's the issue

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 12-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Ok so I finally got my tank refilled. Connected it but didn't hook it up to any tanks. Set it to 15 psi and shut the tank off. 4 days letter I checked the regulator and it had dropped 10psi to 5 psi. So it appears the regulator and/or the valves that block the c02 going from entering the tanks is not air tight.

But a 10psi doesn't seem like it would empty a 5lb tank in a day. Does this drop seem normal?

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #26
deadfall
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 277

So your saying you hooked the co2 tank to the regulator with the valve on the regulator closed and the pressure dropped form 10 to 5 psi. I tried that when I got my regulator and it was holding pressure for weeks. It sounds like a slow regulator leak. Have you tried a new tank gasket? I think I'd ask for a new regulator. To be safe you should continue to check the rest of system for leaks, when you get the regulator sorted.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I had a leak on the underside of the regulator in the etching. I lost 2.5 tanks until a friend found it. It took almost 2 years for the leak to develop and keg connection replaced the regulator body at no cost.

Sheldon

Old 12-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfall
So your saying you hooked the co2 tank to the regulator with the valve on the regulator closed and the pressure dropped form 10 to 5 psi. I tried that when I got my regulator and it was holding pressure for weeks. It sounds like a slow regulator leak. Have you tried a new tank gasket? I think I'd ask for a new regulator. To be safe you should continue to check the rest of system for leaks, when you get the regulator sorted.
Well then...it appears there is a problem with the regulator. I'll get in contact with Kegco and have them replace. Once it gets replaced, I'll run the same test and then continue to check for leaks. Thanks guys!

Newsman Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Contacted the place where I got my kegerator and all kegging equipment(beverage factory). They are sending a new regulator no questions asked.

In the mean time, I have a spare regulator which is brand new(don't ask) I'm going to hook that up tonight and pressure test it and see if it holds.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
Contacted the place where I got my kegerator and all kegging equipment(beverage factory). They are sending a new regulator no questions asked.

In the mean time, I have a spare regulator which is brand new(don't ask) I'm going to hook that up tonight and pressure test it and see if it holds.
I'm almost inclined to ask... Lol

Quick Reply