The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 2 empty CO2 tanks in2 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
HopHeaven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default 2 empty CO2 tanks in2 weeks

Ok so I recently got a new Kegoco 2 tap kegerator. I've got one used 5 gallon keg from them and a brand new 3 gallon from northern brewer. Set everything up, kegged beer, set pressure to 15psi. Next morning, CO2 is empty. Weird part is, neither keg has any pressure once I open pressure relief valve. I thought the issue was a faulty pressure relief valve on the used keg. Got it replaced and CO2 refilled. Set pressure again. Everything seemed to seal nicely. Didn't hear any gas escaping. Next morning checked, CO2 level dropped slightly but kegs were still pressurized. One day later, this evening, CO2 empty and no pressure in either keg.

Now obviously I have a leak. All my O rings look good. I tightened all the posts with a wrench(not as tight as they could have been). I'm just perplexed because neither keg had any pressure...wasn't expecting that if there was a leak in one keg. I'm getting the CO2 filled tomorrow morning and will be putting starsan on all possible areas to find the leak.

In the mean time, any hints on where my link could be? Any tips that people have from experience? Thanks a lot guys! I just want my kegged beer already!

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You need to find the leak through systematic troubleshooting.

Get a spray bottle and mix up some soap water solution. Wet down all of your gas lines, connections, keg posts, lids, and fittings.

Any leaks will give a tell-tale stream of bubbles. At the rate you are going through CO2, it sounds like 1 or more leaks.

If you find one leak, don't stop looking. There may be more than one.

Don't forget to spray down regulators, valves and CO2 tanks as well.

How hard can it be?

Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
CRoth36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's gotta be a leak. I had a leaky inlet due to bad print. It looked good but it leaked. Try to replace all orients. They're much cheaper than refilling co2. Also don't just go by sound as to whether it's leaking or not. Try filling up a spray bottle with sanitizer and spraying all you're fittings. A very small leak can be hard to hear. I would start with that and go from there.

Mmmmmmmmmm beer

Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Yeah, ill be trying the spray and bubble method. The posts were only hand tight so it may be there. I have what appear to be extra nylon washers. The directions I got from Kegco were crap. Any tips on where they should go?

I tightened all fittings tonight with a wrench. Do you guys think it's safe to say I have at least 1 leak in each keg since both were not under pressure once CO2 ran out? This is just frustrating and I know it's cause I rushed. I'm so patient during brewing and fermentation...guess I have to be patient now while kegging.

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
Sprouthog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
Ok so I recently got a new Kegoco 2 tap kegerator. I've got one used 5 gallon keg from them and a brand new 3 gallon from northern brewer. Set everything up, kegged beer, set pressure to 15psi. Next morning, CO2 is empty. Weird part is, neither keg has any pressure once I open pressure relief valve. I thought the issue was a faulty pressure relief valve on the used keg. Got it replaced and CO2 refilled. Set pressure again. Everything seemed to seal nicely. Didn't hear any gas escaping. Next morning checked, CO2 level dropped slightly but kegs were still pressurized. One day later, this evening, CO2 empty and no pressure in either keg.

Now obviously I have a leak. All my O rings look good. I tightened all the posts with a wrench(not as tight as they could have been). I'm just perplexed because neither keg had any pressure...wasn't expecting that if there was a leak in one keg. I'm getting the CO2 filled tomorrow morning and will be putting starsan on all possible areas to find the leak.

In the mean time, any hints on where my link could be? Any tips that people have from experience? Thanks a lot guys! I just want my kegged beer already!
Start with the connection to the co2 tank and work your way out form there. A flat washer should come with each co2 tank when you get it filled that seats the co2 tank to the valve assembly. If you don't have one that would be a problem. Star san or mild soap solution all connections. Use clamps on any connection to ensure a tight seal. My last leak was due to an unclamped connection that appeared tight.

I'm running co2 and nitrogen, 2 primary valves, 6 secondary valves, 6 kegs and 6 taps so there was a lot of checking for leaks.

Primary:
Secondary:
On Gas: Schwarzbier
On Tap: Cream Ale, IPA, Caribou Slobber, Czech Pils, Guinness Clone, Bohemian Pils, Oktoberfest.
Bottled: American Lager, Bohemian Lager, Aplwein, Cranberry Weizen, American Wheat Ale

On Deck:

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
HopHeaven
Recipes 

So I refilled my co2 tank, made sure everything was tightened with a wrench and hooked up the gas. Sprayed everything connection down with star San and saw no bubbles. Hopefully with tightening the posts(which were just hand tight before) solves this issue. Will be checking the regulator tonight and see if the tank pressure went down an unnatural amount.

Related question, with just setting the pressure(no force carbing) how long does it normally take a 5 gallon keg take to get up to proper pressure

Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
So I refilled my co2 tank, made sure everything was tightened with a wrench and hooked up the gas. Sprayed everything connection down with star San and saw no bubbles. Hopefully with tightening the posts(which were just hand tight before) solves this issue. Will be checking the regulator tonight and see if the tank pressure went down an unnatural amount.

Related question, with just setting the pressure(no force carbing) how long does it normally take a 5 gallon keg take to get up to proper pressure
If you set and forget about two weeks to carbonate.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Sprouthog Likes This 
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Ok so now I'm confused. A week ago I refilled the co2, tightened everything down, sprayed all connections with star San and saw no bubbles. Haven't been home in a week so just checked it. CO2 is empty and no pressure in my kegs.

If both kegs don't have pressure does that mean I have a leak with each keg or could it be one leak? I'm at my wits end with this.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Would pictures of each fitting be helpful. The directions that came with my kegco are crap but I've tried reading up online a lot

Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
HopHeaven
Recipes 

My new plan is to get the co2 filled and attach the regulator and open the co2 but leave the valves on the gas lines closed to see if it's my regulator/co2 connection or the leak is further down

Quick Reply