The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 2 co2 bottles - will it fit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Thunder1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 co2 bottles - will it fit?

I am getting close to kegging my beer and looking into the co2 side of things. I called our welding supplier and he asked a question I was hoping someone knows. I told him I wanted to get a dual body regulator to run different pressures on at least two different kegs. He is looking to see what they have laying around (cheap!) to see if they can put something together. The other option he asked was - would 2 5lb cylinders work with single regulators on each?

So........will 2 5lb tanks fit in a 4.x compact refrigerator? If so, is there any downside to doing that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you probably wont have much room for anything else with two #5 tanks in that thing. im guessing 4.x means 4-something cubic feet? that is a 2x2x2-foot cube. the tanks will be taking atleast half of the space.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 972 Times on 795 Posts

I gotta believe when you add up the price for two tanks and two single-body regulators it's going to be significantly more expensive than a single-tank/dual-body regulator solution.

And then there's that double-the-space-needed thing...

Cheers!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think it would be better to have 1 Co2 cylinder and one twin body regulator regulator for a number of reasons. Space is the first that comes to mind if your dealing with a small refrigeration unit. Also cost if understand correctly the welding shop is suggesting you purchase 2 "cheap" regulators they have laying around and purchase 2 cylinders (@ $50 + in most places). I might be missing something, but you could purchase this and a cylinder and be done for < $150. Just my $ .02

Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
dflipse
Recipes 

To directly answer your question, yes it will "work" and I don't see a downside other than the cost.

But it definitely won't fit. The best of the 4.x cubic foot fridges will fit two ball lock kegs, with a 5lb CO2 tank/reg on the hump in the back without any modification. Most need some modification, and it's really always a pretty tight fit.

Life is really pretty good with only one serving pressure when you're just dealing with two kegs in a mini-fridge. Now, if I were running one of these 10-keg monster keezers, I'd want a few different pressures available.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Thunder1
Recipes 

Thanks for the repsonses. I will stay away from 2 bottles which I prefer as well.

When I say cheap, I mean cheap! I have a feeling these tanks will be rental for basically nothing, so I am just buying the gas. The regulators would basically be a nominal cost, very little in this either way.

I was thinking since I was asking for a regulator that I would ask for the dual body. Should I stick with that or should I just go with a split single regulator.

The complication comes in that the welding company typically uses 3 port regulators rather than 4 port, which apparently that is what the dual body regulators are. So they don't have much in the 4 port stuff just laying around.

I am assuming if I am running a stout and a brown ale that the dual body may be helpful??? I am completely new to this, so I need some insight. If this dual body regulator will not get used much, I will forget it so I can get my beer in a keg!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder1 View Post
Thanks for the repsonses. I will stay away from 2 bottles which I prefer as well.

When I say cheap, I mean cheap! I have a feeling these tanks will be rental for basically nothing, so I am just buying the gas. The regulators would basically be a nominal cost, very little in this either way.

I was thinking since I was asking for a regulator that I would ask for the dual body. Should I stick with that or should I just go with a split single regulator.

The complication comes in that the welding company typically uses 3 port regulators rather than 4 port, which apparently that is what the dual body regulators are. So they don't have much in the 4 port stuff just laying around.

I am assuming if I am running a stout and a brown ale that the dual body may be helpful??? I am completely new to this, so I need some insight. If this dual body regulator will not get used much, I will forget it so I can get my beer in a keg!
Welding gas companies rarley have dual body regulators. It is best to get it from More Beer or something like that. As far as the ports, you would have one coming off each regulator (2). If you need more you can easily make a manifold like this;

photo5.jpg

Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a dual body for a couple of reasons. First I run all my kegs off of one of the regs. Rarely do I carbonate at different levels between the kegs I have in the freezer. I use the other body/reg to Counter pressure bottle, to push sanitizer through kegs getting ready for more brew, to push beer out of my fermenter, etc, etc. It is really helful to do the "Other" tasks you need with CO2 so you dont have to bother the line attached to your kegs.

Quick Reply