Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 1st Time Kegging - CO2 Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentmich View Post
Chill the keg of beer as cold as you can..... Then increase the co2 pressure to about 30 psi.

Lift the keg and shake the bejeesus out of it until the regulator stops hissing.
If you shake a chilled keg at 30psi until you no longer hear gas entering, the beer will have reached equilibrium with the 30 psi (or very close to it), severely overcarbonating it (unless you're going for a lambic carbed to 4+ vol). It's very difficult to gauge just how much carbonation you're adding when you're both increasing the pressure and agitating the keg. I suggest either shaking the keg at serving pressure until it stops absorbing the gas, or cranking the pressure up to 30psi for 36 hrs without shaking. Both is a recipe for disaster, as evidenced by the plethora of "my beer is all foam" threads this method causes here.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
kentmich
Recipes 

Juan is correct - I misspoke. I do the shake until it stops thing at the proper pressure for the style and temp, not 30psi. Hope he caught you in time.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Lots of information to go over ...thanks everyone!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello, be careful not to back flow beer into your regulator, yes you need to purge some Co2 out of the keg to dispense your beer.

I would read up on how to purge/lower pressure properly so you done run into problems gunking up your regulator.

Cheers

Ok, for now I'll carbonate using the in-line until I know more. I don't want to screw up my brand new dual regulator. The shaking process seems a little iffy at this point (for me). The carbonation process with this batch has been all screwed up, so I'll have to start over with the next batch and implement and record a carbonation process.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
#1, the store that sold you the keg is totally not at fault. I'm not sure what you think they were "denying," but when you buy a reconditioned keg (which is pretty much all of them these days), it's common knowledge that you will need to replace - or at least thoroughly clean and re-lube - the O-ring seals.
It's not common knowledge to a 19 year old girlfriend trying to buy a secret birthday present for her boyfriend. They showed her a brand new Corny keg in their window, she says she'll buy it, then 45 minutes later sold her a scratched up Corny keg which leaked the 1st day it was hooked up to pressure. I've never owned a keg before, so it's only common knowledge after the fact. They could have sold the o-ring replacement kit/keg lube along with the "reconditioned keg" that they didn't test. The o-ring that was leaking was so old and dessicated, that it fell apart when the needle nose pliers touched it.

When I went back to give them a chance to say "oops, we forgot", or "you should have known", they looked at each other, and then said nothing. The guy in charge denied that the o-ring was not replaced. Then I paid $20 for o-rings and a 5 pound CO2 refill. Keep in mind not one thing in their store has a price tag on it. I know newbies get screwed, I can suck it up (that's what she said).

Hasn't everyone been 'taken' at some point? It makes you feel like a tool. Before my new mini-fridge came in the mail, I bought a $50 mini-fridge off Craigslist and it died 2 days later. The guy won't pick up the phone of course. I got burned twice in 1 week.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post

It's not common knowledge to a 19 year old girlfriend trying to buy a secret birthday present for her boyfriend. They showed her a brand new Corny keg in their window, she says she'll buy it, then 45 minutes later sold her a scratched up Corny keg which leaked the 1st day it was hooked up to pressure. I've never owned a keg before, so it's only common knowledge after the fact. They could have sold the o-ring replacement kit/keg lube along with the "reconditioned keg" that they didn't test. The o-ring that was leaking was so old and dessicated, that it fell apart when the needle nose pliers touched it.

When I went back to give them a chance to say "oops, we forgot", or "you should have known", they looked at each other, and then said nothing. The guy in charge denied that the o-ring was not replaced. Then I paid $20 for o-rings and a 5 pound CO2 refill. Keep in mind not one thing in their store has a price tag on it. I know newbies get screwed, I can suck it up (that's what she said).

Hasn't everyone been 'taken' at some point? It makes you feel like a tool. Before my new mini-fridge came in the mail, I bought a $50 mini-fridge off Craigslist and it died 2 days later. The guy won't pick up the phone of course. I got burned twice in 1 week.
I understand your frustration but if you weren't happy with the place you shouldn't have continued to buy from them. Craigslist doesn't come with a money back guarantee.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
kentmich
Recipes 

Make a posting in the General area like, Looking for a good brewstore in the ____________ area. Hopefully someone can point you to a better place of business.

Of course, there's always mailorder. I've always been pleased with austinhomebrew.com, northernbrewer.com, morebeer.com, stpats.com, and my local brewstore beer-wine.com. I try the GOOD locals first, but sometimes they don't carry all the goodies the big mailorder houses have.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
kentmich
Recipes 

At the very least, take your CO2 purchases elsewhere. Look in the yellow pages under Welding Supplies or Gasses, and you might find you save a bit too. Be aware that many of them will only fill your own tank after a delay, if at all. Most of them do the filling off-site and simply exchange tanks with their commercial customers. It's hard to say goodbye to your brand new shiny tank and get back an old-looking scratched up one, but that's the way it is. In the end, a tank is just a tank, and maybe when you trade that one in you'll get a new one in exchange. (Not really. After 10+ years of kegging, I don't think I've ever gotten a new tank back... I don't know what they do with them.)

Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ok, now I feel like an idiot. The CO2 was on 30 PSI for 5 days, then I turned it off completely for 2 days since I was out of town. Then hooked it up to 10 PSI for 24 hours. Now the beer is coming out flat and it tastes weird.

There's an inch of head on the top, the glass is not all foam. Is it under carbonated still? There aren't any bubbles coming out of the beer. It's on 10 PSI right now. I'm going to leave it at 10 for now.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What temp is the beer at now? And what carb level are you shooting for? With those two pieces of info we can give you advice. 10-11 psi is usually a good average carbonation level if the beer is at 40F. It also takes a few days for the flavors to meld when you're carbonating. So it tasting funny wouldn't worry me too much yet. Give it a little time at the right psi and taste it every day to see how the flavors change.

We can't really say what the level of carbonation is right now unfortunately. That's the risk of using the burst carb method. It's imprecise. If you think it is under carbed then definitely just leave it on the gas and it'll get to the right level over the next few days or a week.

Quick Reply