Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 101 Dumb Questions about Kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
BeerSlinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 101 Dumb Questions about Kegging

Hi,

I’m sorry I have to post this but I have no idea how to Keg. I’ve spoken to you guys about my ideas and what I wanted to do so everything has been validated. So it’s been awhile and now my equipment has finally come TODAY!!!

So, now that I told the lady that owned the store that I wanted to do forced carbonation of Soda and be able to have Kegged beer. She set me up with a $249 (that’s including shipping and some extra botteling stuff) and now I have received the package; so I can honetly say that I have no clue what I’m doing. But to me that’s ok because I’ve never done this before.

Considering everything, I want to start with a really dumb set of questions. Since all I have is a prepaid cell phone, could someone tell me in Michigan, where do I get CO2? Do I go to someone that handles propane or somewhere else?

Second question, is over my tank:

Or more specifically, the regulator:

How do I use it? I figured that you regulated the pressure by the main valve on the top of the tank. But there is a screw with a bolt on a regulator?

Also, how much gas do you throw one or two tanks for soda and beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSlinger
Hi,

I’m sorry I have to post this but I have no idea how to Keg. I’ve spoken to you guys about my ideas and what I wanted to do so everything has been validated. So it’s been awhile and now my equipment has finally come TODAY!!!

So, now that I told the lady that owned the store that I wanted to do forced carbonation of Soda and be able to have Kegged beer. She set me up with a $249 (that’s including shipping and some extra botteling stuff) and now I have received the package; so I can honetly say that I have no clue what I’m doing. But to me that’s ok because I’ve never done this before.

Considering everything, I want to start with a really dumb set of questions. Since all I have is a prepaid cell phone, could someone tell me in Michigan, where do I get CO2? Do I go to someone that handles propane or somewhere else?

Second question, is over my tank:

Or more specifically, the regulator:

How do I use it? I figured that you regulated the pressure by the main valve on the top of the tank. But there is a screw with a bolt on a regulator?

Also, how much gas do you throw one or two tanks for soda and beer?
You adjust the pressure by using the screw on the regulator, not the valve on the tank.

Can't help you as to where to buy your gas. I live in VA.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I don't think you can do what you want to do without a secondary regulator. You're going to want drastically different PSI on those. For all beer or all pop - no big deal, but one of each is a problem.

As far as the regulator and adjusting it, just use a screwdriver. You open the top of the bottle to open the tank and ajdust it to the pressure you want

Old 09-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Having never kegged, I can't give you any personal advice, but here are a couple of resources that might help...

http://www.leeners.com/kegginghow2.html
http://brewingtechniques.com/library...1/fleming.html
http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/Kegging101-1.html

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 56

You'll definitely want another tank and regulator so you can have one each dedicated to beer and soda.

You'll want to set the pressure to 12-14 psi for your beer dispensing. If you're planning on force carbonating beer, you can set 20-30 psi on a COLD keg and shake the hell out of it a couple of times a day for 2 or 3 days.

The dispensing pressure for soda varies greatly with your dispensing equipment, so I won't speculate. I use a system like this guy describes to carbonate water/soft drinks in 1 or 2 liter bottles. I set 60 psi and chill the liquid to almost freezing before shaking the bottle REALLY hard for a minute or so.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
You'll definitely want another tank and regulator so you can have one each dedicated to beer and soda.

You'll want to set the pressure to 12-14 psi for your beer dispensing. If you're planning on force carbonating beer, you can set 20-30 psi on a COLD keg and shake the hell out of it a couple of times a day for 2 or 3 days.

The dispensing pressure for soda varies greatly with your dispensing equipment, so I won't speculate. I use a system like this guy describes to carbonate water/soft drinks in 1 or 2 liter bottles. I set 60 psi and chill the liquid to almost freezing before shaking the bottle REALLY hard for a minute or so.
Ok, let me go into a little greater detail, is a:

# 1 Five lb. CO2 Tank
# 1 Single Gauge Regulator
# 1 Two Keg Gas Splitter
# 2 Ball Lock Gas Connects
# 2 Used ball Lock Kegs
# 2 ball Liquid Connects
# 2 Dispensing Lines with faucets
# 1 You-Make-Kit Keg Cleaner
# 1 Easy Clean no rinse cleanser
# Connections are 1/4"

On top of that I got a thing to suck out the air out of a bottle so I could bottle and a cap that goes on a two liter for forced carbonation.

Also, I have bought:

Look no further. We've included everything that you desire in our Ultimate Beer Brewing Kit. Treat yourself or a friend!
Simple to follow Beermaking kit comes complete with instructions, ingredients, and an easy to follow recipe which will teach you the fundamentals of Homebrewing. An excellent book will also guide you through the basic process as well as many variations of styles and recipes, for your pleasure.

I'm primarily doing this for pop, Personally, I love bottled beer the best and I order it as often as i can afford it. The most that I would do is only a couple times a year for Beer on special occasions; otherwise, I could see myself using the kegs to store during fermentation or aging.

So, with that in mind, what in the heck is the second gadge for and what does it measure; and more so, why would I ever need a second gadge in this situation?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #7
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I don't think you can do what you want to do without a secondary regulator. You're going to want drastically different PSI on those. For all beer or all pop - no big deal, but one of each is a problem.

As far as the regulator and adjusting it, just use a screwdriver. You open the top of the bottle to open the tank and adjust it to the pressure you want
That’s what I suspected, but how do you calibrate....open the top valve until you get the desired PSI and then adjust the screw accordingly and then lock down the bolt?

I would only suspect this because it seems to me that this gauge is only to measure and to give a matter of convenience to the user so that they don’t have to be careful when they throw open the primary valve on the tank.

That’s why I’m really concerned about the logic of a secondary gauge; especially when I don’t know what the gauge does in the first place.

But I can see your logic on having two tanks but I don’t think that it is necessary because it would happen so seldom.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #8
rdwj

Recipes 

Quote:
So, with that in mind, what in the heck is the second gadge for and what does it measure; and more so, why would I ever need a second gadge in this situation?
You need a secondary regulator so that you can keep 2 different pressures. For beer, you want 5-12 psi, for soda, you want more than that. I don't do any soda and I'm not sure if I ever will, but even for beer, many times you want different pressures for different styles.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #9
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage

Good deal, thanks........I think forced carb on pop is 30 PSI max as well......

I think that's a confirm unless someone else disagrees....

Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 AM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Quote:
That’s what I suspected, but how do you calibrate....open the top valve until you get the desired PSI and then adjust the screw accordingly and then lock down the bolt?

I would only suspect this because it seems to me that this gauge is only to measure and to give a matter of convenience to the user so that they don’t have to be careful when they throw open the primary valve on the tank.

That’s why I’m really concerned about the logic of a secondary gauge; especially when I don’t know what the gauge does in the first place.

But I can see your logic on having two tanks but I don’t think that it is necessary because it would happen so seldom.
Well, I keep the regulator closed, then gradually adjust up to what I want - you've got the process right

The secondary will let you regulate down from whatever pressure you have from your first regulator. So, if you have the primary at 30, you can set the second one at anything less than 30.

Quick Reply