10' lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscraig

Reaction score
I spent hours reading about formulas to calculate appropriate beer line length before I bought my draft system so that I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting issues with my pour. Over and over again, I read advice here to use 10' lines, and of course I ignored it.

Well, I used the 5' lines that came with my kit, and of course, I had foamy pours! I swapped out the 5' lines with 10' lines, and wouldn't you know it? A perfect pint in about 9 seconds.

Can somebody explain to me why these formulas just don't work for most people? I have a typical keezer setup with the shanks going through a 2x10 insulated collar.

I have a 10' line for most ales. A 15' line for lagers and higher carbonated ales like hefe's and a 35' line for my dedicated root beer tap. Too short is a problem, as you found out. Too long will only result in a slower pour.

Yeah, but what I'd like to understand is why the formulas break down when applied to short-draw home brew systems like mine.

Using that formula, it says I would need under 4' of line for a proper pour. That didn't work for me even when I had 5'. I switched to 10' following advice on this forum and I have slower but perfect pours each and every time. Why doesn't the formula work? Who knows...but who cares if you have perfect pours now?

Using that formula, it says I would need under 4' of line for a proper pour. That didn't work for me even when I had 5'. I switched to 10' following advice on this forum and I have slower but perfect pours each and every time. Why doesn't the formula work? Who knows...but who cares if you have perfect pours now?

Just curious.

In theory, it should work. With the proper resistance, 5' of line should be about plenty for anyone. That doesn't seem to work for most people I've noticed. Not sure what is magical about 10', but if it aint broke, don't fix it. That's my philosophy anyways....

Becuase, I believe the manufacturer's stated resistance for 2.2 to 3 .lbs for 3/16th vinyl is inaccurate. All the other numbers involved: elevation, temperature are based on scientific fact, but with the hose resistance, we are relying on what the manufactuer is saying it is. I find that most 3/16th vinyl is more like 1 to 1.5.lbs/foot of resistance in my experience's. Hope that help's some. Cheers!!!

Considering how inexpensive beer lines are (esp compared to the cost of brewing in general), just start with a really long line and trim to fit, balancing foam and pour time. Can't go wrong if you start long.

Becuase, I believe the manufacturer's stated resistance for 2.2 to 3 .lbs for 3/16th vinyl is inaccurate. All the other numbers involved: elevation, temperature are based on scientific fact, but with the hose resistance, we are relying on what the manufactuer is saying it is. I find that most 3/16th vinyl is more like 1 to 1.5.lbs/foot of resistance in my experience's. Hope that help's some. Cheers!!!

This is all I could think of as well. I had the foresight to buy enough 3/16th beer line over and above what comes pre-assembled with the kit for just this reason.

I've been planning on a 4 tap keezer. Starting to gather the pieces to make it happen. As I was researching line length I came across the below thread. I think I'm going to throw one of these in each of my cornys and go with 4-5' of line. Should make the keezer alot neater inside and alleviate the need to adjust line length based on volumes of CO2.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

In the OP, you wanted to know why the chart is wrong, and I believe one reason is; they are based on the beverge service industry trying to get an efficient (read: fast) pour and they want it to pour as fast as possible while not foaming too bad. Unless your're running a bar out of your house and seconds count, then the chart isn't really ideal for you.

My one thought is the formula assumes faucets and normal taps, not a cheap picnic tap that has no resistance.

I run short lines with epoxy nozzle mixer 'sticks' inserted in my dip tubes. Nice pour, short lines.

My one thought is the formula assumes faucets and normal taps, not a cheap picnic tap that has no resistance.

I run short lines with epoxy nozzle mixer 'sticks' inserted in my dip tubes. Nice pour, short lines.

Agreed. It's really about resistence. There are many ways to do that. Some use longer lines and others use elevation changes and many use the "mixer sticks"...

Back