10 hours trip with a 5 gallon keg. Expecting big foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Well I plan to bring a keg to a party but I have a 10 hours trip. Will this beer be drinkable the same day with a cobra tap?

Much will depend on just how clear the beer was when you kegged it.
If you gave the beer a solid cold-crash and racked above the sediment, there's likely not a lot of sediment in the keg, so the consequences of transport wrt going all cloudy should be minimal.

Of course you can skew the odds in your favor by keeping the keg cold (colder the better) and upright for the trip. I've taken kegs down to my oldest sons home five hours away without them clouding up. I stick them in kitchen trash bins with plenty of ice, wrapped in a sleeping bag and stood up on the floor behind the front seats for the ride down...

Cheers!

As for sediment, I agree with the above. make sure that you dont have much sediment in the keg (transfer to a clean one after it starts running clear) and you should be good there.
As for foam, just keep it cold, or at the very least give it some time to get cold after you arrive and before you drink and you shouldn't have much foam trouble.

Back