1 out of 2 is flat !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I bottled my 5th batch and bought a new capper for it. I usually rented it but was tired of going back to the store and back home twice to bottle.

47530_435894702345_648692345_5012764_5559928_n.jpg

I don't understand why.. checked all caps and they were solid. Very frustrating specially it's my best beer so far !

any ideas?

Well, if the caps are good and snug, then I just wonder if maybe some of the beer isn't carbed up yet. Has it been more than 4 weeks since you bottled?

2 out 4 I opened were perfect and carbonized... it's been 3 weeks.

thanks for the feedback

Hmmmm. Well, the first thing I'd consider is that maybe some of the bottles just didn't have quite enough time. To check that, simply turn the bottles end over end gently and let them all sit another week at 70 degrees or warmer.

If after a week, some are over carbed and some are under carbed, I'd consider that maybe the priming sugar didn't get mixed up as well as planned, leaving some bottles getting more of the priming solution and some less.

Where the bottles you opened all "random" or the last ones bottled? I wonder if it's just simply not enough time for them all to be fully carbed or if there is something else going on.

i'll give it a little more time.

I haven't changed anything from my previous 4 batches... and they came out great. just the capper that is not the same.

Bottles were opened at random.

Is it possible the priming sugar wasn't evenly mixed throughout the batch? Sometimes a fear of oxidizing the beer leads to gentle mixing.

Is it possible the priming sugar wasn't evenly mixed throughout the batch? Sometimes a fear of oxidizing the beer leads to gentle mixing.

I was thinking the same thing. If that's the issue, just dump the priming sugar into your bottling bucket and then rack the beer on top of it, using the tubing to create a slow whirpool effect without causing it to bubble.

at this point everything is possible. I did dump the priming sugar first like I did my other batches and it came out well.

I checked all my bottles... some of them the cap is a little crooked on the bottle and even some of them are leaking when I turning them upside down. on some I can almost remove the cap with my hands. Very weird.

so I ran some test with my capper tongiht and no matter what I do I can always move the caps on the bottle... they always turn.. not easely but not with super human streght...

Tested it with coke in the bottle.. shaked them pretty hard and didn`t seem to be any leaks.

are all the bottles from the same place? i know they look the same height but im wondering if theres a possibility of the smallest differences that may be giving you problems...also check the bottle tops that were flat and compare to those that carbed. are the caps all the same type? just some things to concider

same bottles I`ve been using.
The only thing I can see is that I used a board to put on top of the base of the capper since I couldn`t get the right height adjusted. looks like there are parts of the base that is higher and my board might have been a little crooked.. hence the crooked cap on some bottle. I`ll have to work out a better system for sure.

same bottles I`ve been using.
The only thing I can see is that I used a board to put on top of the base of the capper since I couldn`t get the right height adjusted. looks like there are parts of the base that is higher and my board might have been a little crooked.. hence the crooked cap on some bottle. I`ll have to work out a better system for sure.

get a more even board and to avoid problems with that one use a level to make sure everything sits even

Definitely sounds like your capper. I have the same one. Mine has worked great though.

I’d demand a refund or new capper.

I bet the bell that goes over the bottle is defective. My bottles get stuck inside it after I cap it, and I have to twist it a little to get it out.

I don’t see how you can’t get the height right. can’t you just put it on the height that is just a little too low, and it work? I had that happen to me on two “special” bottles, but it still worked for me.

I think THIS is your issue.

You should pull the lever down, and it will cap it, but it will give way and go a little further, and REALLY caps it. My caps don’t spin at all...

Hope this helps

The problem was the operator ! Me.

Capped 5 batches since then and all came out right. on that faulty batch I used a plastic plank to lift under the bottles that made them crooked when I capped.. so the capped where crooked too on top of the bottles.

Thanks for all the help, I'm back capping the right way now !

Latest posts

Back