The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Yellow Transparents in cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
Finn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yellow Transparents in cider

Howdy! Anybody familiar with the Yellow Transparent/Lodi cultivars as cider apples? I've put up 42 quarts of Lodi squeezin's (so far) and am right now trying to turn 12 of them into cider, using champagne yeast (I had to add about three cups of sugar to get the potential alcohol up to 8 percent, though.)

Other varieties I'm looking forward to are gravenstein, red and yellow delicious and a mystery apple that's a really good eater. Four of my 12 apple trees are red delicious! So this winter I'm going to be turning two of them into different varieties through grafting. Any advice about varieties to pick for good snappy cider would be most appreciated!

--Finn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I prefer tart/baking apples for cider. But the elks have eaten my apples every year since I moved to Oregon, so I get my juice from an orchard, which means sweet varieties. I have a mystery tree also, but it isn't tall enough to keep the fruit away from the critters!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You might want to look into some russets if you're looking specifically for cider apples... from what I've heard, around here in New England, the Russet and Gravenstein are cider favorites...

Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I prefer tart/baking apples for cider. But the elks have eaten my apples every year since I moved to Oregon, so I get my juice from an orchard, which means sweet varieties. I have a mystery tree also, but it isn't tall enough to keep the fruit away from the critters!
In Willamina, I can see where elk would be a problem! I'm lucky, sort of, to be in the middle of a whole bunch of depredation-controlled farmland. I never see deer.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep y'all posted on how the stuff turns out.

Quick Reply