Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Which yeast won?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i use a regular juicer like the two linked above, i think i get around 700 ml per 1 kg apples, maybe a bit less, i always forget to weigh the apples. if i juice them once i get an amazing crystal clear juice with a thick foam that is easy to skim off, but the waste is still wet. if i send the waste through a second time, i get quite a bit more juice, but this stuff is mucky and cloudy. and i think the seeds start to get involved. (i never core my apples! after the first pass through the juicer and the seeds are largely intact) this still ferments fine and will clear but it's real foamy and leaves a ton of sludgy sediment that really takes a while to settle. not sure if it's worth it. of course if i didn't like in a city apartment, ie if i had a yard, shed, garage or whatever, i would build a little press, but it's not an option for me now

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
kewlio250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

grr everything in liters/kilogram, why no imperial units for the measurementally challanged?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
dinnerstick
Recipes 

if you can work in pounds and ounces, or feet and inches, or gallons buckets and whatever a quart is, and still do subtraction and division in that system, you aren't slow, you are a measurement whiz cuz that's some fierce math. metric is for wimps who aren't up for the challenge and just want something easy that makes sense every time!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
EdgeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I’ll add an imperial conversion to all my posts in the future.
Inefficient measuring units aside (Dinnerstick ) The bubbling has slow right down so I decided to measure the gravity. With an OG of 1.05 the SG now is 1.00. There was so much sediment and crud that I had to put it through a sieve to measure the gravity. Will this crud settle? Should I sieve the cider when I bottle?

I'll still wait for a week after no change in SG.

Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
smh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Don't buckle EdgeBrew. Although lazy and simplistic, metric is efficient. That frees your brain up so you can drink a few more brews...

What if you just squeezed the wet pulp through cheesecloth dinnerstick? Would you avoid the seed/cloudy bit?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #16
dinnerstick
Recipes 

smh- i've tried that actually, tough to get any more juice out of it. i have done a few 5L batches grating the apples on a cheese grater and then wringing out the juice by hand in 3 layers of cheesecloth, that's possible but a hell of a lot of work i'll tell ya that for free, but the pulp out the back of the juicer is really mucky and just squidges out through the pores in the cheesecloth. if anyone knows of a way to further extract liquid from apple goo i'd be interested but until then i'm just chucking it and hoping some day to build a little scatter and press
edge- sounds like it's mostly particulate matter? how fine is the crud, can you post a picture? is it coming from the foam on top, or is it loose sediment from the bottom that siphons up? in my experience pretty much everything will settle out but soft mushy particulates sometimes don't compact well and sort of hover by the bottom, trying to get up the siphon hose

Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Have you tried just leaving the pulp in the must? The yeast will try and get at all of the sugars in the Apple solids as well and break them down a little bit.

Press the pulp after you're done fermenting to extract a little more juice. This worked wonders with my peach wine. I know a peach isnt nearly as rough and tough in character as an Apple but from 8 peaches I was able to squeeze all bit about a fistfull of juice from them after fermentation.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Worst case is the Apple solids sink to the bottom and wreak havoc on your siphoning stage.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dinnerstick, my juicer has the opposite problem. The front (juice) side has too much solid coming out while the back end is pretty dry. All juice is further strained through a fine nylon bag like this one:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...fine-mesh.html

Not sure what consistency you're getting out the back, but simply hand squeezing gets me extra usable juice for sure. Also, have you considers mixing pectic emzyme with the solids overnight and re-juicing them?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
dinnerstick
Recipes 

the stuff that comes out the back is pretty mucky (ahem). i would consider adding a splash of water and pectic enzyme, leaving it a day, and hanging to strain in a mesh bag, it would be like the traditional english second runnings to make a small cider, maybe. i won't re-juice it though, that just mashes the seeds and makes dirty juice in my machine. i'll give it a go, get back to you in november!

Quick Reply