Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Which yeast for tonight's cider?

View Poll Results: Which yeast for this cider?
Safale S-04 12 70.59%
Coopers Brewery Pure Brewers' Yeast 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Which yeast for tonight's cider?

I'm going to be bottling up my current cider tonight, and since my Better bottle will be empty, I went out and bought another 5 gallons of Mott's.

This cider's going to be just juice and yeast. Nothing else added.

I've got an 11.5 gram pack of Safale S-04, and a 15 gram pack of Coopers Brewery Pure Brewers' Yeast.

I plan on throwing this together around 10 PM EST, so I'm going to check at 9:55 PM and use the favored one.

Thanks all!

ETA: I voted myself, and opted for the Coopers because I bought it a couple months back just to use in a cider, but I'll go with whatever the majority chooses.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Last edited by FatDuc; 12-07-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: explain my vote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I haven't used the coopers, but s-04 makes great cider, better than us-05 imho

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Little bump. I was hoping to get a few more votes than 4, including my own...

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Crap! Just broke my racking cane! Luckily I had already finished emptying the Better Bottle into the bottling bucket. I guess it's time to finally invest in an Auto-Siphon, but I'm a little emotional now, as that cane was my first one, from the Brewers Best kit I started with.

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

unfortunatly we all get emotional about our first equipment... hell its been 6 years since my rist batch of hard cider and i still use much the same equip... I always told myself i would save some back for when i turned 30 and then 40 then 50...etc... i do have three champage bottles with my own home breed cider in then... they are all over six years old... when i turned twenty one i didnt go out and buy a good bottle of liquor to toast my 21... i opened the 4th bottle which was 6 years old almost to the date... tasted amazing... i look back and thing how far i have come as i draw off a pint of my own recently kegged home brew and catch a buzz before bed... went from brewing in buckets in the garage, 15 years old and never great shakes at chemistry... smuggeling it int football games in soda bottles... useing vynial tubein for airlocks.. useing redstar champage yeast or just plane old bakers yeast.... oh the good old day when you broke the law every chance you got simply because ou wanted to prove to them that they coulnt control you... oh to be young again... wel i would sue the coopers, tis the yeast you boght longest ago and you dont what to see it go to waist... keep the other for a couple months from now... sorry about the kane... i remember when my first siphon broke... i was in the middle of reacking a whole batch into secondary and it just ruptured, i nearly cried... now that was either becaue it brke or because i had over 15 gallons of cider to rack and ws back to the old tube and mouth system... but i was 18 and young and in love, and two weeks away from the most heart breaking experienc of my life... senior prom... when i got home two weeks later i was happy to hae that cider done... i got so smashed i only remember crying for a litte bit... sorry about the rant, it was rather tramatic... did i say go with the coopers? (moops at tears)

cheers

Edit: your pardon i am obviously impared because my spelling is very very bad, im a 22 and a pint in the hole and defiantly going to bed...cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Last edited by BrewinJack; 12-08-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #6
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

OK, I'm going with the Coopers, since it's a tie, and I'm hoping the Coopers doesn't attenuate as much as the S-04 might.

Mods, consider this thread done and feel free to lock it, or whatever...

Thanks for all who participated and BrewinJack, I was breaking the law at 15 with a lot more serious stuff than bootleg cider!

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #7
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That tiebreaker came in late!

Under one hour after pitching the Coopers I've already got slow airlock activity!

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had to vote for coopers, since I have never used Safale S-04.
May I recommend An "other - please explain" selection.
Right now I "slowly sipping" from a cider made from WLP300 - with just enough sugars to reach the max level, it taste fantastic after only 2.5 months. I have also used WLP001 with same results and it is almost impossible for me to tell them apart.
The wine/champagne yeast takes longer, bread yeast imparts that bready taste, (you have to taste it to understand, never again unless its the only thing around.)

To sum it up, I'm sure your like the end result from both of them. Better, try them both and let us know which one you preferred and why.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Cooper's wins the google fight by 400.

Google Fight : Make this fight with googleFight Safale S-04 VS Cooper\'s Brewery

Old 12-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

amazing... I am the most indecisive person alive, and now I have a new tool to use. Thank you z987k, you are my hero.

Quick Reply