LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
hitthewall79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Yeast problem

Ec 118

I was in a hurry at my LHBS and was looking for a cider yeast. Instead of looking at what I was actually grabbing, I was just grabbing from a box I was reading. I read a box that said the included yeast was good for wines and ciders. I later get home, and find I grabbed ec 118. I am making a caramel apple hard cider recipe. Will I be fine with this yeast, or will I have to make a return visit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

EC-1118 makes a very nice, but very dry cider. If that is what you are looking for, then go for it.

If you were thinking sweet cider, you could always let it ferment out, stabilize, then backsweeten.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2115

EC-1118 will give you a very dry cider:

"Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise de Mousse) : This is the original, steady, low foamer, excellent for barrel fermentation or for working on heavy suspended pulps. It is one of the most popular wine yeasts in the world. It ferments well at low temperatures, flocculates well, and produces very compact lees. It is good for Champagne bases, secondary (bottle) fermentations, restarting stuck fermentations, and for late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for apple, crabapple, cranberry, hawthorn, and cherry wines. It has excellent organoleptic properties and should be in every vinter's refrigerator. Alcohol toxicity is 18% and it ferments relatively fast. It tolerates temperatures from 39-85° F. It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation."

Regards, GF.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
GrizzlyGremlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great yeast, almost all i use. I have never had a single batch come out bad. You yield about 4.5 gallons in a 5 gal batch. Makes insanely good carbonated beverage as was already stated that it can take the cold and ferments out to the .9s.

Quick Reply