Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Yeast killing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Guthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast killing

How long will it take for potassium sorbate to kill yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

strictly speaking it doesn't kill them. from jack keller's website:

Sulfite, by itself, does not actually kill off the yeast. Instead it creates an environment increasingly hostile to yeast and deadly to most other microorganisms such as bacteria. Wine yeasts, however, can be quite tolerant of sulfites. For that reason a stabilizer is also added to the wine.

Potassium sorbate, sold as a chemical or behind a product name such as Sorbistat K, is a commercial wine stabilizer that should be used in conjunction with Campden. In other words, it works better with sulfites present than without, and it works better than sulfites alone. Potassium sorbate disrupts the reproductive cycle of yeast. Yeasts present are unable to reproduce and their population slowly diminishes through attrition.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie View Post
How long will it take for potassium sorbate to kill yeast?
the only way to KILL the yeast is to pasteurize.
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Guthrie
Recipes 

So even if I add campden tablets the yeast still may start up when I add sugar to backsweeten.

To pasteurize, is boiling the only method?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Daze
Recipes 

When done at the correct time, campden and sorbate are effective ways to stabilize, BUT the yeast population must be minimal, in other words the wine or cider must be clear when you add them. Once added give it 12 -24 hours than back-sweeten then give it 3 days to a week to confirm that fermentation has not started back up.

I HATE chemicals and I hate the fact that there is a chance ( keep in mind that it is a very small chance when done correctly probably less than 1%) that the chemicals will not work and the ferment will start back up again. It is for those reasons that I pasteurize.

It is important to note pasteurization IS NOT BOILING. Will boiling pasteurize? yes but it is like trying to hang a picture with a sledge hammer, it will work but not very well. The reason for this is a little bit of heat will not only kill the yeast and any other bacteria present but also help speed up the aging time, but a lot of heat will change the chemical composition which in most cases will alter the flavor in a negative way.

There are basically two pasteurization methods easily done by the home brewer: bulk pasteurization and bottle pasteurization. (there are tons of other methods that don't even involve heat but they are not easily done at home) Bottle pasteurization is explained in great detail in a sticky at the top of the cider forum. Bulk pasteurization is a s follows:

rack the wine or cider in to a stock pot and place it on the stove with a candy thermometer in the liquid. Turn on the heat and let it get up to 140º F then cover with a lid, turn the heat off and let it cool. From there you can rack in to bottles. It is a piece of cake and works beautifully???

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
WIBeerGeek
Recipes 

Pasteurizing prior to bottling? Interesting. Does pasteurizing prior to bottling cause a higher SRM? Seems like the sugars might caramelize a little.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Daze
Recipes 

"SRM" ??? I am not familiar with that particular acronym. I could be mistaken but I believe caramelization does not even start until higher temps, say above 200º and I am 99% sure that caramelization, at least with table sugar and water, doesn't happen until the water boils off so by doing it at 140º F max there is no chance of caramelization.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Guthrie
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I myself am not a fan of chemicals so I think I'll try this bulk pasteurizing method.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
"SRM" ???
Standard Reference Method. It's color system beer brewers use to categorize beer color. (like lovibond I think)

I wouldn't worry about the final color of your cider too much if it tastes good. My opinion is that ciders aren't pigeon-holed into very specific categories as much as beer is.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze
"SRM" ??? I am not familiar with that particular acronym. I could be mistaken but I believe caramelization does not even start until higher temps, say above 200º and I am 99% sure that caramelization, at least with table sugar and water, doesn't happen until the water boils off so by doing it at 140º F max there is no chance of caramelization.
Don't you need sugar present to caramelize anyway? Pasteurizing a dry cider shouldn't have any.of that risk because of the lack of sugars to begin with.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS