Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Yeast cell count (killing yeast)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
CodyA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Yeast cell count (killing yeast)

Talking to an employee at my LHBS, I told him my plan for my cider, which included cold crashing at 1.01 from 1.06, then backsweetening. He had a suggestion I haven't heard, which was to rack several times until clear (which would included racking it, leaving it in the fridge, rack it, leave it in the fridge, then repeat one more time). He was saying that as long as I didn't keep it on a yeast cake and got the cider real clear (settled out all the suspended yeast), that I shouldn't have a problem with sorbating it, backsweetening, then bottling from a keg (the bottles will be stored at room temp) and having to worry about fermentation restarting since the yeast cell count in the liquid is going to be extremely low anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with trying something like this, or if anyone sees anything wrong with this approach? In theory, the sorbate isn't trying to halt fermentation since the cold already took care of that, but would be prohibiting dormant yeast cells from waking back up and reproducing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
smegger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This sounds sorta like what people do when cold crashing. I've seen a few threads where they crash, rack to another container then stabilise with the chemicals.
I assume it'll work but I've never done it myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply