Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Would this work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
The Pale Horse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Would this work?

So, I took 4 gals of apple juice and 1 gal of pomegranate/cranberry juice and threw it in a primary with 1 lb of brown sugar and some champagne yeast. It's been in there for almost a month and everything is starting slow down and basically has stopped. So I took a sample the other day to see how it tasted and didn't really like it all too much. So my buddy was here and we added 1 part hard cider and 1 part actual cider from the mill with some cinnamon and it tasted really good. Now I plan on doing this to the whole batch. Any suggestions on adding the cider and cinnamon? Is there a way to add the cinnamon that way it would dissolve throughout it? Should I just rack it to a secondary and add some cinnamon sticks?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance

Primary: Belgian Golden, English Mild, Watermelon Wheat
Oak Barrel: Old Ale II
Kegged: Coconut Porter, Old English Ale (Oak Barrel)
Bottled: German Pilsner Lager

www.palehorsebrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
MikeRLynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Personally, I don't like cranberry that much, and I find that in ciders and country wines, it's far too tart. Also the brown sugar can lend some molassas-like flavors, which might not be desireable.

Have you taken gravity readings? If so, let us know what they are. If you haven't, when you mix the hard cider and the regular cider, make sure you do it in a carboy with an airlock. It's probable that fermentation will start again. I suggest cinnamon sticks for flavoring, but I would put them in a little fine mesh bag so you can pull them out when the flavor gets to where you want it, otherwise it'll just keep getting more and more cinnamon-like.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply