The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Would it Hurt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Bigjack68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Would it Hurt?

Hi folks need some advice here...

I made some of Edworts apfelwein but I got a little overzealous putting the sugar in.
I have a 5 gal better bottle where I put in 4 gallons of straight from the orchard apple cider and about 4lbs of sugar. This was about a month ago. Fermentation is still going on. I get about 5 good bubbles a minute. I was wondering if It would be ok to add some more cider to the mix. I have room for about 1/2 a gallon more...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Sewer_Urchen
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I usually top off the carboy with more fresh cider when I rack to the secondary. Fermentation will pick up again fermenting off the sugar added by the fresh juice.

You could just add more now, but you're going to loose some headroom racking anyway, so just wait till fermentation has slowed to null (maybe a couple more weeks) and rack and top off.

Either way, it'll be fine if you add more.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Bigjack68
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well I sampled my mix. It tastes like apple pie filling with a major alcohol hit... should I add more cider???

Quick Reply