Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > won't ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
loofey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default won't ferment

ok took 5 gallons of pasturized cider from local store, unfiltered local. added 2 pounds of dark brown sugar and english cider yeast, waited 5 days nothing. hydrated a packet of trusty ol 1118 and nothing. the only new thing here is the dark brown sugar and the brix reading showed a final frement of about 8% abv but the fermentation wont start. is it the brown sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Freddy57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have 5 gallons of Cider with a pound of brown sugar in it bubbling away in my garage. Using 1118 yeast and it started in just a matter of hours. I don't think the problem has to do with sugar. Brown sugar ferments well. It seems strange that it won't start, they didn't put preservatives in the cider did they?

Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How if you said that the brix reading showed a final frement of about 8% abv can you say it didn't ferment?

If you achieved 8% abv, you had fermentation.

I am a little confused...A decrease in gravity from Original to final, is how you achieve the ABV....and fermentation is the only thing that can make a gravity reading drop...so how can you have 8% abv and NOT have fermentation?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
loofey
Recipes 

ohhh darn it seems preserves are in it. sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. ahhhgg these old eyes dont look at that small print much anymore. any way around this? the origional brix was 15.8 and has not changed in 10 days, also the airlock has showed no activity.

Last edited by loofey; 10-11-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: answer two replies

Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #5
loofey
Recipes 

the brix reading prior to fermentation will give an estimated final ferment alcohol content, that was information provided so one of you wiser brewers could see the sugar was well within limits for a good fermentation. my apologies for any confusion.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You could try racking the mix onto a large yeast cake, but even then I understand it produces some off taste.
I would just drink that juice and go out and buy some Tree top, or Mott's, or other juice without preservatives.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
loofey
Recipes 

will racking it into a primary and covering with a towel let these type of preservatives evaporate?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Freddy57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loofey View Post
ohhh darn it seems preserves are in it. sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. ahhhgg these old eyes dont look at that small print much anymore. any way around this? the origional brix was 15.8 and has not changed in 10 days, also the airlock has showed no activity.
There's your problem, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are yeast killers. You need some juice without preservative to make this work. Looks like you have some might sweet cider to dispose of. Maybe heat it up, add cinnamon and throw a party?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
loofey
Recipes 

ahhhhhrrrrgggg. ok im fine now. ummm yea wheremarts open i can get cider there. note to self: take reading glasses.
thanks all

Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
loofey
Recipes 

yureka! it started to blow bubbles this morning. i noticed last night just before bed that the telltale tiny co2 bubbles were just starting to form. i guess even with chemicals and all you just can't keep a good yeast down lav 1118. unfourtunatly i didnt want to use champane yeast on this batch but oh well we'll see what happens.
calls for a celebration. i wonder how the ol cider in the cellar (freezer distilled applejack) is doing?

Last edited by loofey; 10-13-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: senior member advice

Quick Reply