Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Wine Yeast Aggresiveness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
FensterBos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Wine Yeast Aggresiveness

Out of recommendation from my LHBS employee I used Lavlin's D-47 (wine) yeast for my cider. I pitched yesterday morning after adding yeast nutrient and brought the fermentor upstairs at around 66 F (yeast range is 59F to 68F).
How vigorous should I expect a wine yeast to ferment during its initial stages? I've usually seen the airlock display at least a bubble at this point when using beer yeast. Should I run out and get another back to pitch?

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 2234

It can take as long as 72 hrs to see signs of fermentation, I'd wait at least that long.
If you really feel the need, you might give it a good stir with a sanitized spoon of course, yeast need O2 at this stage.
Regards, GF.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
FensterBos
Recipes 

I gave the wort/must a good stirring before I pitched the yeast and added the recommended 1 tsp of nutrients/gallon prior to pitching; I also hydrated the yeast in must prior to pitching. I suppose my concern is that either the yeast is bad or that there was still some campden tablet left in the solution, but I waited the recommended 24-hours.
This is the first time I am using wine yeast and making cider so I wanted to pick the brains of this forum.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:

Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
I gave the wort/must a good stirring before I pitched the yeast and added the recommended 1 tsp of nutrients/gallon prior to pitching; I also hydrated the yeast in must prior to pitching. I suppose my concern is that either the yeast is bad or that there was still some campden tablet left in the solution, but I waited the recommended 24-hours.
This is the first time I am using wine yeast and making cider so I wanted to pick the brains of this forum.
Wine yeast are usually pretty slow and steady. Just stir it up again with a sanitized spoon and wait it out. When you stir, you may notice some bubbles being released- that's usually the first sign that fermentation has begun.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
FensterBos
Recipes 

Well, we have airlock activity.
Thanks for the help and reassurance.

Fermenting:

Kegged:

Quick Reply