New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > wine vs. cider? difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
woodwormlumber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default wine vs. cider? difference?

I'm new to cider making and you'll probably see a lot more posts from me in the near future so beware! ok...to my question. i've been successful making various wines from the small orchard at my new house. very excited about that when i moved in. however, i've just now attempted to make cider. talking to the neighbor over the fence who brews his own beer (from kits) and told him that i was making the move from wine to cider. then he asked me a very simple question i could not answer..........What is the difference between wine and cider? i could not answer this intelligently. anybody know what the defining difference is between wine and cider? is it the carbonation? alcohol content? apples vs every other fruit/berry? combination? thanks guys! although this is my first post, i've already learned a lot by just reading comments everybody has made about other topics!

jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

This is based only on my own nubbie research, but from recipes alone I'd say alcohol content.

There are all apple ciders and wines. And both can have other fruits added. And you can have both sparkling and still cider as well as wine. So, as of yet, the only difference I have seen is alcohol content, and perhaps the addition of controlling tannins, acidity ect for wines.

But this forum's favorite, EdWort's Apfelwein is basically the same recipe as several other viders I have seen, with higher sugar content leading to a greater ABV.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
woodwormlumber
Recipes 

thanks for the feedback. to make what i'm calling cider, i'm using some leftover wine yeast which can tolerate 12.5%. one batch of my cider should be 6.25% when its done, the other 9.25%. i plan on making both batches sparkling. i'll probably add some splenda to half of each batch to see if i like it sweetened up a little bit.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Mainly alcohol content, but wines also tend to be fermented on the fruit initially and are racked to a secondary to complete the process.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply