New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Will it carb?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
PSUinDC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Will it carb?

I bottled up 3 1-gallon batches of cider that I made with Nottingham yeast, fermented in the range of 55F-68F for about 14 days. OG's were between 1.062-1.068.

I was planning on backsweetening a little with concentrate for 2, and honey for 1... but they tasted pretty good to me, so I left them untouched. They all had a FG of 1.012-1.015. I bottled them into 22oz bottles, and put them aside. I didn't even think that not adding ANY sweetener might effect the carbonation. I plan on pasteurizing these on the 6th day after bottling, so that I can bring them to a friend's place when I visit. What are the chances that I'll have any carbonation? There are still sugars in there, but I thought fermentation was pretty much done.

New guy here... bear with me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You wont get much carbonation as the yeast are probably sleeping with the alcohol levels being so high already in there.

None :(

Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I doubt fermentation was done. I would've expected your gravity to go much lower than that. It's only about 7% ABV, so the yeast should still be working. Unless your fermentation stuck for some reason, I think it will carb just fine. You could easily have bottle bombs with this, so pasteurization is a good idea.

I haven't done in bottle pasteurization, so I'm no expert, but I'm not sure about pasteurizing after 6 days. How do you know it will be carbed? How do you know it won't be overcarbed? I'd be tempted to open a bottle every day or two to check the carbonation level. You can recap them after testing. Worst case scenario, the test bottles may end up with a lower level of carbonation due to opening, but I think it's worth it.

Bottling after 14 days is pretty quick. I'd expect cloudy cider and/or a layer of sediment in the bottles.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
PSUinDC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
I haven't done in bottle pasteurization, so I'm no expert, but I'm not sure about pasteurizing after 6 days. How do you know it will be carbed? How do you know it won't be overcarbed?
Right, I probably don't know, but I want to bring some examples of this cider on a trip, so I'm willing to risk it being slightly undercarbed. I was just kind of curious if people thought I would get anything on my short timetable. Next tile will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
Bottling after 14 days is pretty quick. I'd expect cloudy cider and/or a layer of sediment in the bottles.
Also right, I am aware that it was fairly quick. Cloudiness isn't much of a concern to me, and I think that the sediment level isn't too bad.

Quick Reply