Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Why won't my porkfelwine ferment!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
skier!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It should be a Federal offense to waste bacon and a misdemeanor to joke about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier!
It should be a Federal offense to waste bacon and a misdemeanor to joke about it.
Amen....mmmmmmmmm bacon

Old 04-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
I followed the recipe for porkfelwine (Pork + Apfelwine) that you guys mentioned on Tuesday. I dried out about 4 pounds of bacon in the oven and removed most of the grease then put it in my carboy along with the traditional apfelwine recipe and 2 packets of montrachet wine yeast.

Usually the apfelwine is going by now 2 days after the start, but still no fermentation, this is getting frustraiting, additionally, there is a ton of coagulated pig grease floating at the top of my carboy, could this be affecting the yeast growth.

Help I don't want to wast 4 pounds of bacon and 5 gallons of juice.
Use the search feature

Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bit of a de-rail here, but here is great great pork/apfelwein recipe:

what you need:
(4) porkchops (big juicy rib chops about 1 1/2" thick"
(2) tblsp minced shallot
(6) tblsp unsalted butter
(1) cup apfelwein
kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper

what you do:
-season the porkchops with salt & pepper on both sides and let sit for 1/2 hr to come to room temperature
-over medium/medium-high heat, melt 2-3 tbsp of the butter in a large stainless steel frying pan (don't use non-stick)
-add porkchops and let sit on one side without moving until you get a nice brown crusty thing going on, don't burn, but pretty brown
-flip and repeat on side 2
-transfer porkchops to plate when brown on both sides
-reduce heat to medium and add 1 tbsp of butter and shallots and saute until translucent
-increase heat to medium-high and deglaze the pan with the cup of apfelwein
-using a wooden spatula, scrape up all the crusty brown bits of porky goodness off the bottom of the pan and let simmer until mixure has reduced by half.
-reduce heat to low, and slowy add the remaining butter into the mixture while stirring
-transfer the porkchops back into the pan to let the "warm up" in the mixture
-serve with apple sauce & saurkraut (or braised cabbage, braised in well apfelwein of course) and enjoy. A side of German potato salad made with bacon grease goes rather well with this dish too!!

Hope you don't mind the de-rail, just thought I would add a tasty Porky Apfelly treat that a recently enlightend apfelhead dreamed up the other night!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwiggin'
bit of a de-rail here, but here is great great pork/apfelwein recipe:

what you need:
(4) porkchops (big juicy rib chops about 1 1/2" thick"
(2) tblsp minced shallot
(6) tblsp unsalted butter
(1) cup apfelwein
kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper

what you do:
-season the porkchops with salt & pepper on both sides and let sit for 1/2 hr to come to room temperature
-over medium/medium-high heat, melt 2-3 tbsp of the butter in a large stainless steel frying pan (don't use non-stick)
-add porkchops and let sit on one side without moving until you get a nice brown crusty thing going on, don't burn, but pretty brown
-flip and repeat on side 2
-transfer porkchops to plate when brown on both sides
-reduce heat to medium and add 1 tbsp of butter and shallots and saute until translucent
-increase heat to medium-high and deglaze the pan with the cup of apfelwein
-using a wooden spatula, scrape up all the crusty brown bits of porky goodness off the bottom of the pan and let simmer until mixure has reduced by half.
-reduce heat to low, and slowy add the remaining butter into the mixture while stirring
-transfer the porkchops back into the pan to let the "warm up" in the mixture
-serve with apple sauce & saurkraut (or braised cabbage, braised in well apfelwein of course) and enjoy. A side of German potato salad made with bacon grease goes rather well with this dish too!!

Hope you don't mind the de-rail, just thought I would add a tasty Porky Apfelly treat that a recently enlightend apfelhead dreamed up the other night!

McSwiggin,

I tried following your directions and my pork/apfelwein isn't showing any signs of activity. I decided to make a larger batch that your one cup recipe. I went with five gallons. I cooked the meat, added the butter & S&P, added the shallots, and sauted everything. I added this mixture along with saurkraut, German potato salad, and bacon grease into my 6.5 gallon carboy. I then added enough apple juice to top off the carboy. Once the temp was down to 70 degreess I pitched the yeast. I haven't seen any sign of activity. Frankly the mixture in my carboy looks like $hit. I'm not so sure your recipe is that good.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh348877
McSwiggin,

I tried following your directions and my pork/apfelwein isn't showing any signs of activity. I decided to make a larger batch that your one cup recipe. I went with five gallons. I cooked the meat, added the butter & S&P, added the shallots, and sauted everything. I added this mixture along with saurkraut, German potato salad, and bacon grease into my 6.5 gallon carboy. I then added enough apple juice to top off the carboy. Once the temp was down to 70 degreess I pitched the yeast. I haven't seen any sign of activity. Frankly the mixture in my carboy looks like $hit. I'm not so sure your recipe is that good.
I hope this is a joke.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
McSwiggin,

HA! This thread is great! It's Peanut Butter & Jelly Time!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I tripple-dog-dare someone to take McSwiggin's recipe and try and ferment it.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I tripple-dog-dare someone to take McSwiggin's recipe and try and ferment it.
I'll do it if you send me the Ingredients.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can we change the name to Apfelswine, please?

Quick Reply