Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Why is my cider orange?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
rjman53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why is my cider orange?

I'm trying out my first batch of cider and it has turned bright orange. I bought regular apple cider from an orchard that started out fairly brown as you'd expect. I used a campden tablet per gallon to sterilize. After adding the tablets, the particulate matter in the cider began to settle out pretty quickly leaving me with a significantly lighter colored cider, but really all that orange. I added pectin enzyme, yeast nurtient, and of course the yeast. Now I'm a couple days into fermentation and the cider has turned bright orange; it looks identical to orange juice. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen or has an explanaiton.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

probably same reason a blueberry hefeweizen is red. add a tan-colored beer, add blue berries, and the chemicals give you a red beer

Taps:
1: Honey Malt APA
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee

Fermenting: Hoegarden Saison, German Pilsner

Old 10-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjman53 View Post
I'm trying out my first batch of cider and it has turned bright orange. I bought regular apple cider from an orchard that started out fairly brown as you'd expect. I used a campden tablet per gallon to sterilize. After adding the tablets, the particulate matter in the cider began to settle out pretty quickly leaving me with a significantly lighter colored cider, but really all that orange. I added pectin enzyme, yeast nurtient, and of course the yeast. Now I'm a couple days into fermentation and the cider has turned bright orange; it looks identical to orange juice. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen or has an explanaiton.
Mine always do that. It will clear up when the yeast starts to settle.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's awesome, could you take a photo per chance?

Did your cider contain preservatives? It might be a reaction between the nutrient or something binding with a preservative? Other than I have no idea.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I've seen color change from K-meta (Campden). I think I read somewhere that it's a powerful anti-oxidant. Well, last year when I used it in a big bucket of raw figs, they turned from dull rust to pigeon's blood color after 24hrs. The resulting wine still has the bright color. So, I'd say, it's normal to see brighter colors when it is used.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
EO74
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mine is 4 days in on notty an when i got home today to check it i found that it also has turned orange! It also smells like rhino farts.My recipe was 4 gallons uv treated fresh pressed cider and the yeast.I plan on adding 1 more fresh gallon to backsweeten before i keg.I think turning from brown to orange is just part of the process, good luck!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah it happens, don't worry about it. I have some cider going right now that's just pure apple juice unpasteurized and it's got an orange color, so it's probably not from anythign you added.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
rjman53
Recipes 

I'd post a photo but my camera is out of commission unfortunately. I'm not really worried about it, merely curious. Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply